Screenshots

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well lets keep our eyes out for any clues, if we can isolate whats happening when its having problems it should be no problem to fix.

Some things to check:

is the full size screenshot rendering?
are the thumbnails correct?
is it replacing an existing screenshot?
is it rendering correct on the screenshot server but problems happen during copy to your server?

check here: http://visiolist.servehttp.com/screenshots/ (yes that will load slow as there are hundreds of screenshots generated daily, many of these are also auto deleted so you will need to check shortly after rendering)

With this system there is a lot of steps, but I feel its a far superior way to handle screenshots compared to remote linking... even with the occasional hiccup

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I am also actively pursuing a linux version, though I developed our current screenshot system from the ground up on a windows server (at the time it was the only option really)... I would LOVE to be able to have a pure linux solution, windows server is such a pain. I'll post if I get something working, it might be able to eliminate the remote server for those users with root access.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
that happens when the screenshot server is unable to resolve the domain, the screenshot is simply internet explorers default error page. I'll login and get you a tracert result

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like that domain is missing A records for your nameservers, as well as several other DNS misconfigurations

WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for www.veteransoldierradio.co

No valid SOA record came back

ERROR: Some of your DNS servers do not have A records at all. I could not find any A records for the following DNS servers:
NS4.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS2.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS1.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS3.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS5.TNGWEBHOST.COM

You must have A records for all of your nameservers.

Mismatched NS records WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:
NS5.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS2.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS3.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS1.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS4.TNGWEBHOST.COM

Attachments

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I get that for a few of my sites too... refreshing the screen image doesn't help.
I would bet my life saving the sites returning the same thing for you also have misconfigured DNS zones. This screenshot simply means the website is unreachable, obviously trying to refresh would not change anything.

Marc

Top 1000 Military Sites
License Active
Hi Mark,

Thanks for pointing that out for me. I didn't realize that my A records were missing. I have fixed them and the screenshots are coming in properly now. Idiot me, I can't believe I forgot something as important as that for my server.

Looks like that domain is missing A records for your nameservers, as well as several other DNS misconfigurations

WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for www.veteransoldierradio.co

No valid SOA record came back

ERROR: Some of your DNS servers do not have A records at all. I could not find any A records for the following DNS servers:
NS4.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS2.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS1.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS3.TNGWEBHOST.COM
NS5.TNGWEBHOST.COM

You must have A records for all of your nameservers.

Mismatched NS records WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:
NS5.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS2.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS3.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS1.TNGWEBHOST.COM NS4.TNGWEBHOST.COM

PPNSteve

PPN Top 50
I would bet my life saving the sites returning the same thing for you also have misconfigured DNS zones. This screenshot simply means the website is unreachable, obviously trying to refresh would not change anything.
I pre load the sites before approving them.. so I know they work...... at least here anyway. right now, we're still getting no response or black images from the screenshots...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Black screenshots are a totally different problem than what was posed above, (404).... you can lookup the dns yourself and confirm missing records. Incorrect DNS can still work from many locations, so simply visiting the site is not a good way to check. For the past 8 hours, both screenshot servers are rendering just fine

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark,

Thanks for pointing that out for me. I didn't realize that my A records were missing. I have fixed them and the screenshots are coming in properly now. Idiot me, I can't believe I forgot something as important as that for my server.
My pleasure, glad things are working normal again

Cheers

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Iam sure mark will send you a new file soon, so you make use of the new linux screenshot server and not the windows one. It seems to be much more reliable

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Will properbly take a few hours, its middle of the night for Mark and i dont have the new file yet unfortunatly

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
here you are, extract this file and overwrite the existing screenshots.php file in your VisioList directory (the same folder settings_sql.php resides). Much improved performance and reliability.

Attachments

dillouz

almost getting there :)

the screenshots come now with no bugs. but i have a new bug. This shows on every since one of my pages, both in admin and in the userinterface (http://www.topjewish.com/):

Warning: include(plugins/screenshots.php/languages/english.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/danillouz/topjewish.com/index.php on line 152

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'plugins/screenshots.php/languages/english.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/danillouz/topjewish.com/index.php on line 152

Any idea ?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yup, looks like you uploaded that zip file I provided via the admin -> plugin menu. Its not a plugin ;) You will want to manually login with FTP and remove /plugins/screenshots.php