Screenshots

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
VERSION 1.2#

Add "Screen Shots", captured still images of your members websites.

Locally hosted images! no more 3rd party remote hosted services slowing down your sites load time.

Define the size of images. Small, medium and large. Use these anywhere in your VisioList templates (stats pages, ranking tables, sidebar/header/footer etc).

Setup is easy.

1) create a screens folder in your visiolist directory and make it writable (chmod 777) - if not already present
2) download the zip file attached to this thread and upload it through your admin panel - plugins manager
3) Go to http://api.visiolist.com and request your API key (active VisioList license holders only, may take up to 24 hours)
4) go to admin -> Change Settings and insert your API Key

You can now generate screenshots for individual members sites by clicking the "ScreenShot" link in admin -> Manage Members

You can also bulk generate screenshots for all members sites at admin -> tools -> screenshots

Updates
24.11.2013 - New way to display the screenshots -> http://visiolist.com/community/threads/screenshots.38/page-6#post-8694

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Anna

I noticed that some webpagesblogs just do not seem to work when I try to render a screenshot. It might be due to frames or other issues. Is there any other way to insert a screenshot? And when will the users be able to do it themselves? Is it something planned for later release?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
the screenshot is just a browser window (internet explorer) so as long as the website opens within 5 seconds it should take the screenshot fine. If you can send me a domain name your having troubles with I can investigate.

The alternative is to manually take the screenshot and upload it to the /screens/ directory using FTP following the same naming method as used by the others.

Users will be able to request a screenshot update in the next release, I am still thinking about how to handle this to ensure the feature is not abused. I am thinking the user clicks "request screenshot", then the admin can login to the admin panel and generate all user requested screenshots (similar to the generate all screenshots feature). If anyone has a better idea how to handle this now is a great time to post your feedback :)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Did you requested the screenshot api key from within your admin settings?

If you did, show us an example url which generate the black screen ( member site )
Might as well be that the new server hardware isnt fully configured, as new stuff was ordered ( news forums ), but i cant say for sure. Mark handle the screenshots

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
@nipasch Your API key has been approved just 10 minutes ago, any requests you make until the API key is approved will not work. You should be all set now though.

leonor

License Active
hm i got a problem, most off my screenshots are black, not all but moste of them. Wath i can do? ^^

Anna

OK, I'm on a error-correctung spree this afternoon and now I turn to the screenshots. Yesterday it worked fine to upload screenshots (if somewhat slow). But today - it seems impossible. Doesnt even get a black screen. It says: "There is no such page" )but in Swedish then). Whats up?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshots are always slow by design, 1 screen is rendered every 5 seconds.

The problem is limited to something on your site, I dont see any incoming API requests from your list today. Does your admin/sources/screenshots.php file exist?

I have just rendered screenshots myself and can confirm all is working fine.

Anna

OK, with slow I meant waaaay longer than 5 secons :p Fiance is out playing war this weekend so I have to wait to get in touch with him to check the above. But I find it strange that it worked yesterday and today not with no changes in between in program or code... Can it be something from my provider? If so, if I call them - what should I ask them for/about?

Heh - he apprently left the ftp-program on so I took a peak: I do have a /spindelmor.se/public_html/sources/admin/screenshot.php but not as you wrote it?

Anna

OK, go away and have your coffee and when you are fully awake and have the time - please come back and help me figure out what went wrong brtween there and here .... ;)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Try this, for some reason (most likley to do with your host) your cURL transfers are being interrupted.

create a new file: sample.php and place this code
PHP:
<?php
copy('http://visiolist.servebeer.com/screenshots/www.amuletten.net.png','/spindelmor.se/public_html/www.amuletten.net.png');
?>
then run this script by pointing your browser to spindelmor.se/sample.php

and now you should see this image available at : spindelmor.se/www.amuletten.net.png

Did that work for you?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Just read your facebook thread, you might want to ask your webhost to test and ensure cURL is working properly. It sure looks like it might not be, this would account for why this stopped working for you.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Iam no host myself, but just having it turned on doesnt mean it does work. There could be something broken. Did you run the script mark mentioned?

Daegaladh

It would be useful you could set up a default screenshoot for new users that have no screenshoot yet, to show instead of nothing.