VisioList Wishlist

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Just to summarize where we are at; everything in this thread has now been completed for 0.4 with the exception of sub categories which requires further discussion.

Anything else you would like to see?

Djack

Yes, in france, the spam is forbiden. So, when a member suscribe to my site, i can't send him a mail without is permission. Furthermore, if this member don't want to receive mails anymore, he can decide this in his user control panel...

If you have the time, it will permit me to send mails to my members. I think it's the same in some other country. But it's not the more important things for the moment.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
thanks Djack, we will work on this and should be included either in 0.4 or 0.5 release :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update as this was on my wishlist :)

Also included in 0.5 release will be the ability for admin to edit skin templates directly from the admin panel. Now you can change your welcome emails etc without using FTP, you can also customize your CSS, wrapper, tables and all other templates.

Anna

Mind reader! Was just about to push fiance to make a change in the CSS (= he have to learn something new). Think he (and I) will be pleased^^ Thank you!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
1 more update from my wishlist, since the last was "liked" by so many so fast :)

0.5 will also introduce the banner ad manager used for rotating ads (or any content) throughout the site.

From your admin panel you will be able to ad any HTML code (flash, text, images, javascript etc) to 4 unique ad zones. Each time a visitor hist on of your pages a random ad from each zone will be displayed.

By default Parabola skin will come with:

Zone A: 468x60 Banner in the header (site wide)
Zone B: Banner in sidebar (site wide)
Zone C: Banner After content (site wide)
Zone D: Banner in stats template (stats pages only)

Each zone has a unique tag so you can put the tag anywhere you want the ads from that zone to show.

- Each ad display impression (view) is counted
- Ads can be auto disabled after X number of impression

This function is based on the old content rotator mod I made that was used on many topsites, so we're working with a stable base. This version is quite a bit more optimized and flexible however.

A great tool for those selling ads on their list, or those wanting to run multiple ad services like Google ads, along side other systems like adbrite, cpmstar etc.

Anna

OK, something I REALLY would love to have on a future release is the option for members to take their own screenshot and upload it. As it is today it is not working properly. Either it is giving black screens or as it was in last case: It generated a screenshot from the wrong domain.... I know that it is probably an issue of where the blog/site is hosted, platform and what not and not an issue with the software. But it is still equally annoying.... Hence I would love a second strategy if tendering automaticly does not work.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
What would everyone prefer? allow the user to upload a screenshot or integrate thumbshots add/or similar 3rd party service.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well possibly, but too many options can become confusing for the user, not too mention its that much more to maintain.

Personally the current screenshot system works great for me, the black screen issue was resolved quickly yesterday but issues like that may happen from time to time. The system taking a screenshot of a different domain has never been reported and having generated over 2000 screenshots I cant say I have not seen this, so its impossible to investigate and fix what we dont know about.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
ahh I see, fortunately that issue is extremely easy to fix :)

open sources/admin/screenshots.php

find (line 41 or so):
PHP:
    $domain_string = parse_url($FORM['url'], PHP_URL_HOST);
replace with
PHP:
    $domain_string = $FORM['url'];
then find (line 48 or so):
PHP:
    $domain['url'] = parse_url($domain['url'], PHP_URL_HOST);
replace with:
PHP:
    $domain['url'] = $domain['url'];
then find (line 59 or so):
PHP:
    $domain['url'] = parse_url($domain['requested_url'], PHP_URL_HOST);
replace with
PHP:
    $domain['url'] = $domain['requested_url'];
and now, even those using free hosted sites on 3rd party domains can have accurate screenshots. Once confirmed this works as expected I'll include this change in the next release.

Karl

If it is possible I would not mind having the option of being able to set a site as two column or three column and be able to control this from within the admin panel.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
thought about that option as well Karl, but it complicates things quite a bit for the theme designers. I will be releasing a new skin in a few versions built on 960grid, this will come with 12,3, possibly even a 4 colum version that is very easy to manipulate. After a lot of consideration, changing skins is just a much easier solution.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Anna were you able to test the solution I posted above (#35) for screenshots?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
what happened when you tried? try generating screenshot for that domain now so i can see the request coming in