Hello forum

apexwebgaming

I just purchased the script and will be moving over my current toplist to VL within the next week. If anyone has any good examples or advice for a clean move, please let me know.

While looking at the product, I don't see a feature for a listing to add additional screenshots or news items. Are there existing plugins that can accomplish these features?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, welcome :)

While looking at the product, I don't see a feature for a listing to add additional screenshots or news items. Are there existing plugins that can accomplish these features?
What you mean with additional screenshots? in case you simply mean website screenshots, its a plugin yes, included in the download bundle.
As for news, nothing exist. For that we suggest the custom page feature of the admin area

If anyone has any good examples or advice for a clean move, please let me know.
if you used aardvark topsites 5.2.1 have a look at the upgrade docs http://visiolist.com/docs/upgrade-from-aardvark-topsites

apexwebgaming

Since my site is game related, besides the homepage screenshot, my users will also want to upload other screenshots to demonstrate the game pages. They'll also want to publish news on their game from time to time. It seems like I'll need to do some custom development to get both of those features.

My current site is custom, so no aardvark DB. But I'll take a look.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, additional screenshots could be made with a plugin + "add join form elements" feature in the admin

If you site is custom, no there is obviously no upgrader for that, but it could be made.
As for news, i just remembered we have rss feed plugin, so you could grab their news from their websites

cajkan

I was thinking about screenshots feature concept.
You must approve screenshots via admin panel, reason: adult, gambling, non-related screenshots may be uploaded wich is bad against google rules / visitors / users.

apexwebgaming

Ah, additional screenshots could be made with a plugin + "add join form elements" feature in the admin

If you site is custom, no there is obviously no upgrader for that, but it could be made.
As for news, i just remembered we have rss feed plugin, so you could grab their news from their websites
Is there documentation on how to write a plugin? I can take a look and try it out.

For the news, so each site will upload their rss feed and it'll be pulled in via cron? Where does the news articles appear? On their site info page?

I was thinking about screenshots feature concept.
You must approve screenshots via admin panel, reason: adult, gambling, non-related screenshots may be uploaded wich is bad against google rules / visitors / users.
Good idea about the approval.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Is there documentation on how to write a plugin? I can take a look and try it out.
http://visiolist.com/community/threads/how-to-create-a-plugin.20/
http://visiolist.com/community/thre...show-content-on-specific-pages-sections.1011/

Very basic stuff

For the news, so each site will upload their rss feed and it'll be pulled in via cron? Where does the news articles appear? On their site info page?
It grabs the members website rss feed, if they have any and they submitted their rss url, and will display it on members details page ( 4 rss items, linking to the original news article ). A rss reader.
What you have on your site is a fully fledged news system it seems, something completely different. Should be possible to create using plugin though, but quite a big task

apexwebgaming

Yes, I found the fields to add, so now thinking about how to expose that to another page. But having a RSS is a pretty good idea, since it allows them to post automatically to my site.

Can I ask them to submit rss when signing up?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
VisioList aims to keep the signup short as possible, so most add ons are handled through the user control panel. You can however create a plugin to ask this in the signup if you like, just need basic PHP knowledge to do so.