Visio List - Needs a Resource Manager

mwhite21

As I know Visiolist uses xenforo like many other forums now, why not invest in the resource manager? VL seems to grow rapidly each year. As a customer, I am extremely lost with the plugins/themes/etc as many of them are outdated or only support a specific version.

With utilization of Xenforos resource manager you allow public releases that include the details we need when downloading while properly categorizing the plugins. This will also seamlessly integrate paid or not paid plugins so developers outside visiolist may also capitalize on this.I don't mind paying for some of the plugins if it helps the community out.

This is not an ad or anything as I have no affiliation other than owning a resource manager & xenforo license. This modification is offered through xenforo. I have a heavily modified version on mine & would be willing to work with staff directly on any questions they may have.

This would greatly increase the usability for your "average" users. That I can promise.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback! Sorry to hear you are extremely lost :) plugins are all updated as far as I know, themes here are virtually non existent (that is a bigger problem).

I will take a look at XF resource manager now, to be honest I didn't think we had that much of a selection of plugins to confuse anyone, let alone requiring categorization. But fresh eyes often see things a bit different :)

thanks again, I'll post back here soon.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
$200 for us to get into that :( A rather large investment at this point to be honest.

the other side is selling individual plugins is not really a direction we want to go (it seems to stop dead development of free plugins).... this needs to be carefully considered.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
My bad, only $100 :) that is more reasonable.

Lets think about this, if anyone has any feedback on the matter post here. We may decide to give it a try.

top50servers

I like the idea, where would be able to see a practical application of this at work?

I'm more lost trying to fully understand what is going on here.

mwhite21

Please note: This change is not for the top lists but for the forum. A tool to assist in navigating themes, threads, & plugins that will hopefully open up new doors for other developers to start releasing new plugins...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I am having troubles coming up with any sensible way to categorize plugins... any feedback?

if you were confused by 37 plugins in 1 category, it safe to say you will still be confused by 37 plugins in 1 resource manager category.

mwhite21

I am certain we can use many of the ones xenforo already uses with the understanding that most of these are not for forums but rather a top list:

Remember that after you create a category, you can have sub categories. So:

Plugins:
  • sub 1
  • sub 2
  • sub 3
  • sub 4
Styles:
  • sub 1
  • sub 2
  • sub 3
Guides/Walkthroughs:
  • sub 1
  • sub 2

main.png
styes.png
addons.png

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm that will create a ton of categories with only a very few items in each, that is a usability nightmare.

Remember we only have 37 plugins... sub categories are totally overkill, even categories are near useless IMO

mwhite21

Right sorry @Mark. I didn't mean to use ALL of them but maybe a few key ones such as:

• Sidebar
  • Navigation Bar
  • Admin Plugins (I.E. items such as the password changer or anything that alters the admin panel)
  • Styling (Plugins that alter the default style)
Basically your modifications are less for forums & more for a "website" however the modification possibilities are endless. The only thing I am stuck on is how to categories things such as "server checks" or "vote rewards".

mwhite21

Sorry for the double post but I think I misread your initial response,

The main page will still list ALL of your modifications. The sub-categories will only break it down further for people looking for something specific.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
if you think about it further, you may come to the same conclusion I have :)

Sidebar = 0 plugins, though some will also add an optional widget to the sidebar. But that is not grounds to place them in that category.

Navigation bar = 0 plugins again, but some plugins can certainly be linked from the navigation bar

Admin plugins = well basically all plugins have an admin setting, and many of those also use sidebar, and can be added to navigation bar.

I appreciate the input but these category suggestions are probably not feasible.

You might be stuck on a couple specific plugins, I can see problems "categorizing" nearly all of them.

mwhite21

@Mark that's understood. The great thing is, categorizing later is as simple as selecting multiple categories & simply moving them like threads. If in the event the plugins increase & you find categories useful, then the option is there. At this time, I am just happy with the ease of use for plugins now allowing version history, feedback, & discussions. Be sure to designate a forum for these to be posted in for discussion. If not, you can not go back & re-add them. This feature will automatically create the thread in your directed forum(s).

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
categories I can deal with, duplicate discussion threads however introduce chaos. This resource manager is not nearly as cool as I thought it was, the lack of proper payment integration is a real let down unless I am missing something... but external payment link and download management is pretty much useless for us, it should be all contained within the forum.

multiple possible points of bug reports (users can post in the resource manager, and now you would also like a separate forum thread) is outright silly, our users will drive me nuts with this, look here for that, look there for this, I see nothing elegant about that. At least the way it was everything was located in 1 place and we knew exactly where to look for everything related to that plugin. I know you found that confusing, but I really don't see how, threaded discussion is simple :)

Also our VL admin panel is set to look to these forum threads for current version # and update notifications, this will be broken and need much editing to repair, not to mention there appears to be a permissions bug in resource manager that I have yet to find a fix for (registered users can either not see the resource manager at all, or they can download files. I have tried everything I can think of but no luck making it so they can see the items but not download... ). Oddly its only that 1 group, licensed members and guests seems to work just fine.

meh, overall not impressed. Not sure we will keep this, some parts are nice but some seem very clumsy

mwhite21

Unless I am missing something....

The payment system you can disable for users meaning only you can sell at which point you may place in your paypal or whatever link to YOUR payment system you want.

I am not asking for a duplicate thread. Currently you are posting a thread in the forum with the modification that allows discussion. When you create a new addon & add it to the resource manager, it will create a discussion thread within a tab like the other tabs in your resources. This allows the discussion in your plugin forum.

In regards to your "bug", you have to edit them via the xenforos crazy usergroup permissions. I am willing to bet your normal usergroup & your license group have conflicting permission sets. If you set one user group to "ALWAYS" & another to "inherit or no", the usergroup with the higher ranking will take over.

I am extremely sorry that this was a let down. I didn't expect you to purchase this so quickly. I would have been more than happy to give you RM access on my site to take a peek. I was rather shocked to see the forum upgrading shortly after our PM conversation.