SEO Plugin

Bart

I think i might of mentioned it before, but the ability to add individual descriptions & keywords to custom pages would be nice.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I think i might of mentioned it before, but the ability to add individual descriptions & keywords to custom pages would be nice.
Yup, I added that a few versions ago, when you edit the page you will see inputs for meta keywords and description.

Bart

I thought you guys did, for some reason i am not able to successfully update a plugin through the admin panel even though it says everything is fine and ready, therefore i was under the assumption that i updated to the latest version.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure i entirely understand what you are saying ( happens sometimes :) )

I thought you guys did, for some reason i am not able to successfully update a plugin through the admin panel even though it says everything is fine and ready, therefore i was under the assumption that i updated to the latest version.
Its jjust a update check, its not updating automatic

cajkan

i wanna ask for update, or custom plugin.
I want the ability, to change custom text on each category,
Something simmilar to description and the keywords, so i would want different text h1 or h2 , the text should be different on all categories.
I hope you know what i mean.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
And what is custom text to you? Why not simply extend the categories description?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
As I installed this on my list, I noticed this plugin is using the meta description as the H1 tag, in most cases this is probably not idea.

I recommend changing the action_array.php file in this plugin as follows for a more concise result.

PHP:
if ($TMPL['cat_exist']) {
  $TMPL['cat_name'] = $TMPL['cat_exist'];
  $TMPL['cat_desc'] = $CONF['categories'][$TMPL['cat_exist']]['cat_desc'];
  $TMPL['category_welcome'] = base::do_plugin_skin('./plugins/Seo','category_welcome');   
}
elseif (!$TMPL['cat_exist'] && !isset($FORM['a']) && $TMPL['meta_description'] != '') {
      $TMPL['category_welcome'] .= "<h1 id=\"seo_main_h1\">{$TMPL['list_name']}</h1>";  
      $TMPL['category_welcome'] .= "<p id=\"seo_main_p\">{$TMPL['meta_description']}</p>"; 
}
else {}

cajkan

Mark could you please give us small info what this changes into plugin?

I would recommend seo_main_p to be h2 tag

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Mark could you please give us small info what this changes into plugin?
Sure, my meta description is:

Looking to Promote your traffic exchange, blog, or webmaster service? When you need high quality traffic, look no further than AAtoplist. 2 minutes, hassle free, quality links and real visitors.

that is waaaaaay to long for a h1 or h2 tag.

h1 should be tight as possible (remember its a heading). Since the home page is well reflected by the site name, i chose to use the list_name

now my output looks like this:

<h1>AA Toplist - Promote Your Traffic Exchange</h1>

<p>Looking to Promote your traffic exchange, blog, or webmaster service? When you need high quality traffic, look no further than AAtoplist. 2 minutes, hassle free, quality links and real visitors.</p>

perfect for me!

I would recommend seo_main_p to be h2 tag
I would recommend you rethink that ;) the meta description is NOT a heading, it makes zero sense to use an h1 or h2 tag here. Given that meta descriptions are usually 200 characters, this constitutes a paragraph <p> not a heading. Furthermore with that much text in a heading all you are doing is diluting the keywords to the point of uselessness. :)

cajkan

Was thinking of the URL structure, about the stats page.

Example:
Search Query - Eternion Knight Online
Category - Knight Online

Website info:
Title - {$title} - {$category} | {$list_name}
Description - {$description}
Default URL structure - www.yoursite.com/details/{$username}/

Now we all know that domain gives small boost if includes some keywords.
So the final result would be something like this:

www.yoursite.com/details-{$category}/{$username}/
or
www.yoursite.com/details/{$category-{$username}/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just an idea, doesnt have to be included.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
We also know that google dont like forced "view for google" and likes "code for visitor". In my opinion it makes the url unnecessary long.
Visitors prefer short urls from my experience and they couldnt care less if the category is the url. If you want them to know, bring the category more focused in the content rather the url. It benefits the visitor a LOT more and hence the likelyhood that google likes it is high as well

All this overthinking on SEO lol, sigh sigh. Free yourself from the headache and just code so the visitor will be pleased. It will give you a better result in the long run

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
A small update to go with the latest patch for 1.0. Nothing major, but will correct a few design issues who came up after the patch. A simple overwrite ( upload via admin plugin manager is enough )

eupaulzaza

I have a question regarding the plugin. I for example want to have a H1 title, then an h2 subtitle and then a description in normal formatting.

I could do this manually, by editing code on each category, but i think it is impossible. Probably only doable by php editing, and that means a few changes for this plugin would solve this problem, or maybe tell me how to edit the files myself to allow that format( H1 title + h2 subtitle + normal formatted desc)

Last edited: