Website Page Rank?

gsharpe1964

Ok uploaded the one with the picture to my server and got a page full of code thrown back so somethings a miss
::removed::

However the guy has it working with his link??

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
looks like you uploaded it in binary if I had to guess. Not much I can do from here.

gsharpe1964

awesome, for a method like this you will want to cache the pagerank instead of looking up every site, every time your rankings page loads. That makes this mod a bit bigger as we need to setup DB table to store the PR value, and pseudo cron to grab the PR every X seconds. Not hard, but quite a bit more time consuming that the original method. The bigger problem is the Google terms violation which means this is not something I can post for our other members to use making this is one off project. Are you ok paying a nominal fee $15 for this plugin creation? If not, thats alright too I just cant give it priority at the moment.
Mark, I'd be more than happy to pay mate, Just let me know when your done and i'll paypal you if its alright.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
sounds good, should have this wrapped up in the next few hours. Will send you an update when its ready.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
i see the problem :) there is a space between the < and ? in the opening PHP tag.

change that fist tag to
PHP:
<?php
and you should be good to go.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
then you can use the first method as described by basti.

simply add this to table_top_row.html

i will hold off on the more complex version of the mod until I hear back from you if I should proceed or not.

gsharpe1964

I tried that came up with this

PHP:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home2/forumtop/public_html/pr1.php on line 10

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
you will need to troubleshoot that, the problem is on or before line 1o.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
nice job :) now you can do the simple template integration posted above and you should be good to go!

gsharpe1964

I may just get all the code and details of what we've done here and add it as a simple plugin for other members, I don't want them reading this thread and using my sever and bandwidth, if i did that would we be able to delete this thread???

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
I myself would be happy if you dont post it as plugin. Dont know what mark think about this, but i dont want to see detailed instruction on here on how to go against google terms

Anyway good job on getting it to work :) You might as well consider just using third party service for that to keep your site from harm

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I removed all the links to your site so nobody leeches your button, you might also want to add some .htaccess anti leech protection, those button paths are searchable via google and you will want to protect yourself from others exploiting your server :)

gsharpe1964

Thanks again Mark and Basti I've moved the code to a different Server and deleted the ones on my topsite server, also made the Google rank buttons as non clickable, that should be sorted now,

Thanks for your help guys, i can't see how displaying pagerank can be against google terms as so many site and directories have it, From what i can find out, Google has changed the aloritham of the page rank script, but hasn't provided the api for this new change

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
no problem, happy to help and glad you got it sorted!

people break Google's terms all the time, just because so many do it doesnt mean its ok or wise :)

There is no API for pagerank, and to my knowledge there never has been and never will be. Its a feature of Google toolbar that has been exploited using scraping techniques. Try running 100 queries for pagerank and watch what happens ;) Google will temporarily block your server for suspicious connections, they know exactly whats happening. I have been down this road scraping backlinks, number of indexed pages and other data from Google, it worked as long as I was really low key about it. But I could block myself anytime just by making a few more requests.

gsharpe1964

Will you still be able to do that mod, where it stores in in a DB, and just checks it say weekly??, I mean pagerank doesn't go up and down like a yoyo, once you have page rank you have it for months, so a way to stop it checking at every page load would be great.

Cheers Mark, just gonna grab a beer and drink to your good health ;)

Cheers Mate