Website online/offline checker

Bart

Heya,

Just a suggestion maybe we could have a website checker to see if a website is online or offline on the main ranking page like a little green or red button, i don;t mean like the server checker that checks through ports ect.. i mean like a website checker which would simply ping the site every 3 to 6 hours or so just to check if is is online in general.

Admin panel features:
set ping time
set if all sites should be checked or a specific selection (i.e. #1 - #20)
on/off
delete sites from list after how many days of being offline

Just an idea :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I dont see a lot of value in this personally, development time at the moment is better spent on more important plugins, new skins and core features.

We'll see if others would like to see this though, or if anyone else is willing to take this on. If demand is high enough I can make some time to think about how to handle this... Some features mentioned don't seem very logical to me, for example I cant imagine that a site in the top 20 could possibly be offline... they shouldn't be in the top 20 if that was the case, unless your ranking monthly which typically makes for a stale list anyway.

It should also be noted that if your counting pageivews than you already have the ability to delete inactive sites via that setting in the admin panel, if zero pageviews have been counted after X days, than you can assume the site is offline or they have no button code installed and the script will auto delete these users.

not to discourage the plugin suggestion, its just free development time is limited.