VisioList 0.8

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Update Instructions:
- As usual take a backup of your files and database incase something goes wrong
- Upload and replace all the files from the update bundle onto your ftp and run install/update.php from your browser
- If you use a custom skin add a folder called "child" into it.
- If you upgrade from below 0.7 -> http://visiolist.com/docs/VisioList-0-7-Version-Info

Fresh Install Instructions
As usual. http://visiolist.com/docs/Installing-visiolist

Some of the changes this version
- You can now create child themes. The first step in making skin updates easier.
If you go to skins & categories you see a new link there called "Edit Child". You will be presented with a list of the parent files which upon click will be copied into your skins child folder.
From now on you can edit these child files after they have been copied, so you can leave the original html untouched.
- Limit any text you want. Before you could limit the member dscription on the rankings only by using a setting in the admin panel. That feature will be removed in the coming versions, as its so limited. Instead you can limit any text output anywhere.
Simply find the tag ( i.e {$description} ) and add a legth parameter like {$description, length=100}
This can be used in any template html file and is also usefull to give premium members a longer description than default members.
- Several php 5.3 error notices fixed.
- bugs in the core fixed
- Plugin upload procedure changed. Now plugin allows unlimited subfolders to be included into the .zip
The main folder can be included now as well. I.e the zip contains the main plugin folder "Twitter" with its subfiles/folders. Before the zip only contained the files

If you have any issues installing/upgrading let us know.

Attachments

Bart

Just tested it:
Fatal error: Database error in "/home/ipbboxco/public_html3/install/update.php" on line 247

Unknown column 'phrase_name' in 'where clause' in /home/ipbboxco/public_html3/sources/sql/mysql.php on line 89

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Oh gosh, gimme 5 min. In a language update iam trying to update _etc table, not _langs table

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Post #1 files updated.
If someone else have the same problem as Bart download update.zip from this post and replace it into your install folder. Then run updater again.

Attachments

Bart

Thanks Basti, by the way is there any way that those who want to update can do it manually? the reason i ask is because i have edited so many files i have lost count and if i replace files it'll most probably mess up some of the custom stuff i have done.

I.e. have a manual update page (Find this, delete this, replace this and add this ect...)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
No, we do not support manual updates. Thats the main reason this project was born.
You should never edit any php, so its always safe to replace.

As far as the skin goes, if there are important changes ( like in 0.7 final ) we write them down. And future versions will have a skin compare script.
If you use a modified parabola, you dont need to upload the parabola folder.

If i were you, i would rename your folder though to something unique, so you can just start upload without worrying to overwrite your folder by mistake

0.8 also feature child theme so you can easy overwrite parent folder ( no use for you right now though )

Bart

For example I've edited the index.php so that i can use a cron job instead of pseudo cron and a few other stuff, i can implement the code again but would the same code you guys gave me work in 0.8 ?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yup those edits for the cron are still applicable in 0.8. An admin option for cron VS psuedo cron will be included in the next release.

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
Just a feedback, all went fine with that update. Thanks

cajkan

Update Completed !
even on custom theme - i was expecting errors but everything went OK

Great job guys!

Anna

A late updater here and sorry - but I dont understand how I go about and update/to a child theme. I chose edit Child - but then what do I do?
Sorry for being so *noobish* :oops:

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
You dont need to do it, but its useful if you dont have your own skin.
And its properbly not worth doing it if you already modifed the main skin much already.

Basicly the skin gets a new subfolder called "child" , now you can manually upload the files you want to edit into there ( or use the method we described in post 1 ) and start editing these instead of the main files, thus making it save to replace the skin on each update and it will include newest updates if there are any. In a later release we will use that feature to determine if your skin is up to date

Enough said, trying out is easier :) make a copy of parabola and name it anything else, then select it as default skin.
Now follow instructions as in #1 edit child -> click on wrapper.html -> edit wrapper.html -> write anything new into it.

Now you will notice the original skin wrapper.html is unchanged from the original, as you edited the skins child theme