Terms and On the Go

legendz

AcemanWolf
Hi,

I would like to make this discussion of having a TOS and having the USERS registering on the go with out knowing the rules. (I know people don't read the TOS but it is there for reference)

Well, the reason I want to have a TOS on my websites is because I want the USERS to know the rules and what is legal and not. When they register, they are agreeing to my website TOS/Rules.

2nd, is that when you start banning USERS and they complain, "Why am I ban and I never agree to anything". They can fight the ban by saying where is the TOS/Rules on your website?
You can't really ban a USER with out them agreeing to your rules. (really you can but not professional)

Example: Google AdSense. They want you to agree on their TOS. If not, your account will be ban and you can try to fight it but it's not worth it. (You will be denied)

I know all/most popular websites has a TOS. Even when you start downloading things off the internet. They want you to agree of their TOS before you download it.

This is the reason why I don't want USERS to register on the go and why I have a TOS on my website.

I would like your opinion on this matter, about USERS registering with out knowing the TOS and having them register on the go.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
I myself are one of those "ignore tos reading" people :). I should but most time iam not, as the majority of the world i bet.

Having it is defenetly worth it, there are just sucky people out there. Especially when you deal with paid stuff ( premium ), iam not sure entirely, but for your own good and legal company stuff, i think its a must.

The banning thing iam not sure, when you have a completely free list, dunno if they could ever do anything to you. Not to sure sure though

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Most toplists in the past have created a simple "Rules" page rather than a TOS on the join form.

A rules page has bigger print and clearer to read and understand at a glance. Also, as you noted, most people don't read the fine print. So with a rules page, on yoru join form you can add a line of text saying something like: "by clicking the submit button, you agree to follow our rules for a great user experience for everyone"

As for bans, its your site you can do what you like with your users. I have banned entire countries before (looking at you Turkey ;) )

cajkan

Most of the users dont read the ToS and FAQs, specialy when its about wall of text.

Join form should be simple as posible, only must important data needs to be taken from that user.
If user lands on registration page, and see captcha, re-captcha, word check, tos, faqs, extra fields -
They will say - " Hey do i have to fill out all of this forms? " - And then you have a BIG BOUNCE RATE %.

Now ToS and FAQ's can be displayed in lots of ways:
Maybe when user joins, send him thank you e-mail and link to FAQs, TOS, etc...
Also footer is a good place to add useful links, User control panel extra links etc...

But remember registration page should be simple as posible!

And when its comes to banning the user, you can simply reply:
You have been banned coz of the following reasons - 1, 2, 3
Please read our Rules, ToS, FAQ

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
A simple link "you agree to our terms" i find that good. Really clean and so helps keeping the join form clean like cajkan mentioned. In my view better than this tos box

legendz

AcemanWolf
Most popular websites has captcha and re-captcha. If you don't want spam those are the best way to stop it.

" Hey do i have to fill out all of this forms? "
Answer is "yes " you have to fill it out if you want to join the community.

And when its comes to banning the user, you can simply reply:
You have been banned coz of the following reasons - 1, 2, 3
Please read our Rules, ToS, FAQ
How are they going to read the rules if there is no rules to read?
How are you going to tell them that you have been ban for those reason 1,2 and 3 with out having any terms on the website?