Screenshot Turning Out Black

freecashpro

Professional Web Developer & Coder
I've seen this happen with other screenshot services in the particular business I'm in of promoting sites that rely heavily on proxy / vpn protection. If you take a look at my new VisioList at www.GetPaidTo.org then you'll notice that the screenshot for "#2 Keep Rewarding" turned out black. The site is a 'getpaid to' or 'GPT' site and it relies on a service called ProxStop to prevent anyone using a proxy or vpn from accessing the site.

I'm not sure of VisoList is using a commercial service or their own code to generate the screenshots but it seems that the target site is likely blocking access to automation based on a web host, proxy, or VPN. If it's coming off as appearing as any sort of proxy or vpn then I may find over time that it's not going to work for my purposes on many of my core client sites. Might I suggest that in addition to the 'Update Screenshot' button that maybe an 'Upload Screenshot' option also be made available for those sites that the standard automated screenshot service just hopelessly is not working persistently for certain types of sites? Thanks!

Last edited:

freecashpro

Is there any way for me (as the admin) to go in and replace the screenshots with my own manually taken images reliably via ftp? Where are they stored? In the database or in a web host folder (no biggie, I can handle whatever) ...and once they are created then do they get updated over time (which would be bad in these circumstances)? ...or once I replace a screenshot with my own it will stick?

Last edited:

cajkan

Yes freecashpro,
You can create screenshot and transfer via FTP, dont forget there are 3 kinds of screenshots:
  • big
  • medium
  • small

freecashpro

Ok, thanks... I went in and replaced the screenshots and it looks good.... awesome. Now just one more question on this - will it periodically go in and seek to update the screenshots? ...or is the first set - the permanent set?

Last edited:

freecashpro

Yup, I guess it does go and replace those screenshots periodically... Hmm, I guess I'll try making the ones I replace read only and hope it doesn't produce a script error ;-)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
99% of the time black screenshots happen when the domain in question has DNS errors and our screenshot server fails to resolve the domain.

Screenshots are stored on your host, they are not updated until the user requests that a new screenshot be generated (they do this from the control panel) or until the admin re-generates it.

uploading screenshots manually is doable, but its not really ideal, its best to alert the member that their website has a DNS problem (tools like intodns can help identify the issue)

freecashpro

Ok, yeah... I see. It looks like the one black screenshot resolved. But yeah, I see what you are saying... Ok Thanks!