Implemented Random Site

The nice thing about this product is that you are both so actively involved with your customers and have great patience with us.

One thing I was wondering about is a 'Random Site' feature?

Of course, we wouldn't link out to site right off the bat but to their 'stats' page; where, if we can get this right, we'll have their latest feeds and maybe even some social interaction.

I'm looking to add mostly travel sites (blogs) that do have RSS feeds and whose members are active on Social Media.

These people like discovering new writer/readers to add to their network/circle.

;)

I haven't been pushing the TravelNotes Top Travel Blogs and Websites until we have a larger member base.

But I can see a lot of potential for this; much more than when we ran the Meta-Travel Topsites on JMB Software's Autorank back in 2004/2005 with over 1,000 sites on the list.

Thoughts?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the kind words, input from our users is invaluable to help make the product better for everyone :)

Would using the current "featured member" function work?

admin -> Ranking Settings

then edit your skins featured_member template to use the stats URL instead of direct to their site.

find:
<a href="{$url}" onclick="out(this,'{$username}');">

replace with:
<a href="{$list_url}/{$url_helper_a}stats{$url_helper_u}{$username}{$url_tail}">

---------------------------

the other method we could do (I think this was an old feature of autorank and old aardvark) is to have a menu link to a random member that just says "random member" and the user is sent blind to one of the members stats pages. Though this would probably best be added as an optional plugin.