problems with SMTP...

ptop100

Hello!
For some reason im having problems setting up SMTP settings in VL 1.3
Tried both, gmail and from my webhost email, both fail to send emails via "Email Members" in settings, either im not receiving welcome email too..
may i get some tutorial how that should looks like ? because obviously im doing something wrong :S
thanks in advance

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, all you should need to do is fill out the fields in admin -> settings -> other settings.

You need to enter the SMTP host, username (full email address), password and port. you may also need to check with your host to ensure the required ports are not blocked in the firewall. You can also check your web servers error log to see a specific clue.

ptop100

I assume that the required ports are not blocked in the hoster firewall, as i can connect to that email address via Thunderbird on my local PC..
Webserver error_log seems clean.. anyway ill contact my hoster for assistance, maybe its still something at their side :)
thanks for your time..

P.S. the main problem was that its not my first time to set SMTP details :D
but for some reason at this they don't work for me yet :)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Just to gather some information. Do you use the secure or nomal ports for smtp?
Experienced in the past that the secure was not working but the other was ( or the other way around )

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Then lets try some debugging

in sources/misc/skin.php find this
Code:
            $mail->CharSet = 'UTF-8';
On a new line below, paste this
Code:
            $mail->SMTPDebug = true;
Now the mailer class should hand out some usefull info, wether a port is blocked or whatever

Please try after making that change to join your list ( auto approve ), once you hit submit, you should see some info at the very top of your page.
Please copy that stuff ( removing possible private information ) and paste it here.

Dont forget to change debug to false after you joined for testing
Code:
            $mail->SMTPDebug = false;
Or simply delete that line again, as false is the default anyway