Member Page URL & Spam

Brian Stier

Hey guys,

So as it stands right now the members page URL seems to be using the person's name rather then their website. So if the member name is Don Jon and his website is Don's Pizza, the url is like www.visiolisturl.com/details/DonJon

I'd rather it be www.visiolisturl.com/details/donspizza or something more relevant, keeping the clients name out of it altogether. It's weird because some of the older listings have a somewhat correct URL. Not sure if it was changed when I upgraded from 0.9 to 1.3

----------------------
Spam.

When I was using version 0.9, I would rarely, if ever get spam. Now that I upgraded I get it all the time, any suggestions to reduce the spam?

Thanks guys!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
username has always been used in the URL, we have no plans of changing this as it would break many well established URL's.

What sort of spam are you encountering? through the join form or reviews? what spam prevention methods do you have enabled? (security questions, captcha, recaptcha, stopforumspam etc)

Brian Stier

I went back and looked at the registration process and yes the username/URL method does make sense, I just need to edit the page so that users know to pick a username that represents their website rather than using their personal name. lol

As for the spam, it comes from the contact page. I remember reading that you had hardcoded some prevention methods into the contact form but wasn't sure if anything had changed. It's generally from one domain so I have ended up just blocking that domain entirely.

Thanks Mark

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, there is an hidden input which bots seem to fill out majority of the time. Not a 100% stop spam method, but worked quite nicely without bothering people to fill a captcha.
Ill post an update later, so people have a setting to choose hidden input, captcha, recaptcha, adcaptcha or the security question there