Linkback Required

Bart

I was thinking it could be very beneficial to have a plugin that checks if a user has a linkback to your site and if they don't then they are not allowed to register and if they do then they are allowed to register and then have a cron which checks the site every 12/24 hours whether they still have a linkback and if they don't it would send them out a email every 24 hours that there is no linkback and threatening that their site will be removed if they do not re add it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well we already have an inactive setting in the admin panel which does this (but does require pageview counting). We will add an inactive warning email to coming versions to expand on this feature.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
The inactive feature also works with hits in. If you automatical make sites inactive after 14 days of no voting, you can assume the button is not there. Dont see the need here to make a extra plugin for this.
The inactive mail will help the member noticing it though. Improoving the current system, like Mark said

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
adding inactive mail notification to the core features todo list :)

Bart

The thing is not everyone would want sites suspended after 14 days for example, this plugin would check if a link is present in the site at the time of registering and then every 24 hours check if all sites on the toplist have a url back, any that don't would get an email sent to them advising them of this but no one would get suspended.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
there are a few problems with this old directory technique (speaking from experience).

1) your assuming that people will place the button on the index page
2) if your not, then you need to also ask the user for a URL where the button is located
3) you need to scrape every members page every day to check for the link, this takes a lot of resources for a mid to large sized list

I personally would prefer and enhance the core "inactive users" function that has worked so well for the past decade and logically makes more sense while using MUCH less resources.

Its infinitely easier to have an option like "send warning email after X days of inactivity" and have an option for "delete members after X days of inactivity".

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
Its infinitely easier to have an option like "send warning email after X days of inactivity" and have an option for "delete members after X days of inactivity".
agree
I think I know why Bart is mention it. It is all about backlinks to make the domain higher in ranking (google, alexa, etc). Sorry if I'm wrong.

Bart

agree
I think I know why Bart is mention it. It is all about backlinks to make the domain higher in ranking (google, alexa, etc). Sorry if I'm wrong.
Yeah, it's mainly for links in to me, and maybe also a little traffic.

I just saw a problem with this, if i require a user to have a button to me before registration it's impossible as they get the code after registration. :p

Ignore this mod.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well we still evolve the current inactive user function :) the option to send notifications for inactivity is something we need.

Bart

removing sites or making them inactive is bad for SEO, for me anyway.

Each site i have listed being in ~20 - 30 uniques a day

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well deleting inactive members is not something you will be forced to do, I am talking about simply sending an email to inactive members. A core feature that has been requested in the past and seconded by many.

Anna

OK, can someone please explain a little bit more in detail how this feature is supposed to work. I have an idea for an implementation on my list, but do not want to invent the wheel once again.....
I found the slot of "Manage inactive Members" but not really sure what it tells me. What does Inactive Days mean? How do they accumulate and how can I get rid of them as a member? Does HitsIn have anything to do with the activity? HEEELP! ;-)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
inactive day means they have not registered a hit or pageview.

you can use the "manage inactive members" to email or delete them as you see fit.