How to enable Multilanguage?

blacklevel

How to enable Multilanguages in the topsite? There are some code for topsite script languages/flags displaying?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Multilanguage is really a tricky one, while it is possible with a plugin so a visitor can select his desired language, given the language pack is installed. Does it really serve much purpose?
Yea he can see parts in his language, but what counts the most, are the members, which are a fixed language, whatever a member enters in database.

If im not wrong google offers something you can put on your site, which translate all text if a visitor wants that. While google translator isnt perfect, in my opinion it would do sooo much more than a partial translated site

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
You are misunderstanding, aardvark also is not multilanguage ;).
It offers several languages files so your topsite is displayed in the language you select in admin, same as VisioList ( we are based on aardvark after all ).
Thats what the multilanguage refers to

I bet you talk about the mod flying around on aardvark which,
adds a select box on your rankings, now they see stuff like join page text, or menu item and what not in the language they selected.
BUT, no member description :)

Anyway in case that is enough for you, yes that possible in VisioList with a plugin also, quite easy actually.
Mentioning it again, member descriptions, which is most important for a visitor simply cant be translated, because its something saved in the database.

In case you want this plugin, i need you to understand this. Not that you expect something which you simply cant hope to ever get.
You also need to download all the language packs ( those you want to offer to visitor as choice ), like top50server said, because those obviously are needed.

Thats why i suggested google translate snippet https://translate.google.com/manager/website/
With that the most important part gets translated, the member info. And as a side effect it translates the other stuff too

If you want the plugin, let me know, hope i explained it well enough :)

Last edited:

Daegaladh

I also want that plugin, and I think it should be on visiolist as a core feature, with a script that checks the visitor's country from the IP and shows the corresponding language.
Member descriptions may not be that important when you have an international list and the country of each member is showed, or even the categories are countries, because visitors will look for the ones from their respective country. But it would be very helpful if everyone could have the interface in their own language.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
We only have a few complete translations available for VisioList, I agree with Basti and think the Google translate option is the best at the moment for translating the interface. I know the translations are not the best, but i think its better than the options available in language packs at the moment.

cajkan

Offer google translate would be way better.

Dont forget guys once you add your own language you might have some problems with google:
  • Duplicate Content
  • You need to add 301 Redirects
  • Doorway Pages
  • Some pages might cause problems
  • Search function
  • Vote page etc...
And while you expecting to offer to your users more, you might get into a trouble and that might hurt your rankings if you dont know what you do exactly.
We all know that once google webmasters find some issue, it may take a weeks/months to update their info :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Cajkan brings up a good point about duplicate content, some additional protection would be needed to ensure proper indexing. Could be as simple as only indexing the primary language by adding noindex tag to all other language variants. Worth noting for sure.