How to choose ranking method?

Anna

Ok I have ended up in a kind of a delicate dilemma when it comes to how to rank the sites on my toplist. And now I hope to get some senior advice from you guys.

If I read between the lines before using HitsIn is the preferred ranking method for the masters if I want to eventually generate more traffic to the site. I have tried using HitsIn (both weekly and average) for a couple of weeks now with various success tbh. I find myself having a hard time motivate my members to motivate their readers to click the badge/link code if theier at all is a linkcode pasted. The trend that I thus have noticed is that "most computors win!". That is most clicks comes from the owners themselves. They click on their own websites, but no outsider does it.

That is why I am considering to move back to ranking by Unique Pages instead. My members is not that tech-savvy (many times I had to privately help them with link codes and banners etc) and I have the feeling that using pages will feel more organic and intuitive than HitsIn to them. I am well aware of that larger older blogs will have a great advantage here. But I really do not know what to do. Right now HitsIn obviously isnt working so I feel why not try PageViews instead and counteract the larger blogs with using /week instead of /average *shrug* I can also see this as a potential to entice more people to buy a Premium Membership, because that will bring them up to the top and visible. As it is now with HitIn - those who allready are high ranked really do not need any more visibility, they will continue staying high up...

Thoughts, ideas? My vision for my Topplist is to have a vibrant dynamic list that is ranking well with searchengines and that is a place people go to to find something more. Dont know how to combine that with the above though....

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
every list is different for sure, switch to pageviews and see how it works for you. :)

"hits in" has always been the driving force behind topsites because that is what usually makes the topsites traffic grow.

The main issue I have with pageviews (aside from the massive waste of server resources) is if I want to rank high on your list I need to have a lot of traffic, it doesnt matter if anyone actually "votes" for my site or not on your list. I have seen sites that get only a hundred or 2 visitors a day but they send a handfull of clicks everyday into the topsite (webmaster asks their users to vote, puts banner above the fold etc). Those are worth much more to me as a list owner than a busy site that generates 1 or 2 clicks per week.

If hits in arent working I would probably look very critically at your button design, that can play a huge factor. (is it animated?, does it include a good call to action etc.)