How can you let people vote only once, and not daily.

larsheldens

Hello,
I want to know if it is possible if you can people only vote one time in a lifetime. So that they can't vote every day for the same site.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Only way would be to "hack" the core in sources/misc/new_day.php
Code:
  $DB->query("TRUNCATE TABLE {$CONF['sql_prefix']}_ip_log", __FILE__, __LINE__);
comment that by placing // right before.

Not really a way to handle this via a plugin, so note that you would need to do this on each and every update which gonna release. So its not really suggested and quite a pain. Result is also that "out" also only count once.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
no that is all that is the only change that is needed, well at least until the user gets a new IP address.

top50servers

no that is all that is the only change that is needed, well at least until the user gets a new IP address.
I hate to burst the bubble on this idea, but most people use dynamic IP address's so this method doesn't really work.

larsheldens. I would recommend some sort of account system, that why its marked when the user has voted, thus not being able to vote again.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, many peoples ip changes daily.

A user system is a good idea and probably the only solution for controlling voting like that really.