Email issues

mucka_tbfm

Mucka Jay
I send an email via the VL admin to all members once every few weeks. Last time I sent the email to the 455 members I was bombarded with reports of spam and told that they had received the same email 5 times. I leave the emails per second at 1 (not sure whether to change this or not). Last time out, the little flash swirling image was still spinning after 20 minutes which is when I stopped the page as I had received at least 20 emails from people complaining. I have a test account too and I received the same email 5 times so I know it wasn't just a one off.

I have just sent an email out again today, apologising for the issues and saying their was a bug in the system which caused the problem and that it was hopefully OK now (Mark told me it was nothing to do with a server/email issue I was having at the time). I now have 525 members and left the box with 1 second again. After 14 minutes I got an error (image attached) so I am now very confused.

As you see on the image, I am told to reload the page which I did and it took me back to the email members page but the message had gone.

I checked my test account and thankfully I only received one email this time but any idea what is wrong with my VL?

Attachments

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Few things comes to mind.
1) php max_execution_time kicks in, but that is unlikely since it runs 14 min already
2) You hit you maximum allowed email sending an hour ( or day ), which is most likely the cause. If you have luck they end in a que which is later sent out, but that is an option of cpanel as far as i know and would need to be enabled
http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vi...LimitingFeatures#Max hourly emails per domain

First i would ask your hoster how many mails you can send out a day or hour and take it from there. With your huge member base you might have to copy the exportable mail list and send the mail with an external mail client

As far as double emails goes, if ones has multiple accounts with same email it would explain it

mucka_tbfm

Mucka Jay
Its not duplicate email accounts as I only have one test account and had 5 identical emails.

As for my host... that would be Mark!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using smtp for sending from VL?

You can set you max mails per hour via WHM -> modify account you can set it to any value you like.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Like he said under WHM ( sites control panel where you set up your database before ) -> modify account, there you should be a option for the mails

mucka_tbfm

Mucka Jay
I was on 1000 emails (after Mark changed this from unlimited due to some issues recently). I changed this to 2000 then I just sent another email message from VL admin to all members. There are now 530 in my list and yet again, as the last issue it seemed to have timed out, this time after 30 minutes. This is causing a massive issue as I am sending out an email sales pitch to the members and obviously not all are receiving them and I have no way of knowing who is and who isn't getting the messages.

I really need this sorting out as I have been spending a lot of money promoting the VL for people to sign up. I am getting 20-30 sign ups per week at the moment.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
If you want drop me a pm with ftp and admin login, we disable the actual sending and just let it output to see if that also times out

Wondering if its a chrome issue ( please not test anymore until we disabled the sending )
30 minutes seems unreal for 500 mails with a 1 sec. wait in btw
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=84313
Though its a bit old, it seems such an error is not unknown and users had the same error msg loading websites.

Well, we will confirm once disabled. Then you can test freely with other browsers also

EDIT:: A cause ive found on a german website for about the exact same issue. ( again not test afterwards ). We just try to confirm things.
What is your MTU ( what is it - how to change/test mtu settings ) setting for your PC and router?
As the PC MTU should not be bigger than the routers ( 1500 max both i think )

Your pc answer to a request of 1500 packet size, but your router only handles 1492 ( case for fritzbox over here ) data could get corrupted. And chrome seems to not ignore it like some other browsers.

Disruption

The transmission of a packet on a physical network segment that is larger than the segment's MTU is known as jabber. This is almost always caused by faulty devices. Many network switches have a built-in capability to detect when a device is jabbering and block it until it resumes proper operation.
This could explain your long run time until it finally kills off

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I just sent mass email to 300+ members on my list with no issues, took maybe 5 minutes to complete with no failures so this bug does not appear to be affecting all lists.

Are you using smtp option for sending mail?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
That would explain the loop issues you had, 0.9 email.php had a major flaw when you set "email members iinactive for xx days" bigger than 1
Though still not the timeout. either way, please update or AT LEAST download 1.0 and upload sources/admin/email.php

Did you tried yet what i suggested in earlier post?