Duplicate Names Joining

mucka_tbfm

Mucka Jay
Is there any kind of way when people join up on registration to look for names already joined (like you do with email addresses) to stop duplicate joining up?

top50servers

People would simply change a letter or a number in order to get around this.

Perhaps doing it by URL would be a better option.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with top50 on this.

Url duplicate check is already built it though

cajkan

URL feature would be better if plugin exist.

<---------------------------------------->
Why?
What if fake user register and take domain - example ( google.com )
And later - Matt Cutts is trying to register with google.com - and he is declined.

So we have to think about fake users / and real users too.

<---------------------------------------->
How to solve?
Simply:
Fake account - will have 0 votes, less statistics etc...
Original account - will have more votes, higher statistics, and im sure there will be more info.

At the end, Google Webmasters will notify us, if theres Duplicate title, description etc...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any kind of way when people join up on registration to look for names already joined (like you do with email addresses) to stop duplicate joining up?
Sorry guys, I am confused.
Are we talking username or site title?

URL duplicate check has always been a feature

mucka_tbfm

Mucka Jay
No, its the name they use on the site (in our case the band name). Some do not check to see if they registered a year ago (or an ex band member may have registered them) so they just set up a new one. The URL and email duplication works sometimes but other times (30% approx with us) they have new usernames, new emails and new website url's so its the band name (or title) that I need to stop them duplicating. If its not something done simply then no worry. We get 5-10 new registrations a day so at the moment the simple fix is to check the band name on the site first. I can carry on that way for now.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
For those following along "site title" is the answer to my question :) There is no duplication check for this, and we have no plans to add such a feature to the core.

That said, users are free to create their own plugin to handle this if needed, always fun to learn new things

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
So, as a quick way for everyone to learn about our functions and how to make plugins....

1) Plugin Name > DuplicateTitleCheck
2) Blank index.htm
3) info.php

Code:
<?php

$pluginname = 'Duplicate Title Check';
$author = 'Basti';
$email = '';
$url = 'http://visiolist.com/community/';
$install = 0;
$depend = '';
$version = '1.0';

?>
5) join_process_form.php, join_existing_process_form.php, usercp_edit_process_form.php, admin_edit_process_form.php
Each with the following content
Code:
    array_push($form_validate, validate_db_duplicate('title', mb_strtolower($TMPL['title']), array('LOWER(`title`)') ) );
6) Make folder "languages"
6.1) In there blank index.htm
6.2) english.php
Code:
<?php

if (!defined('VISIOLIST')) {
  die("This file cannot be accessed directly.");
}

// When you make a new translation, fill out the following four variables to
// get credit for you work.
$translation = 'English';
$translator_name = 'Basti';
$translator_email = '';
$translator_url = 'http://visiolist.com';

?>

xryskom

all that only validating URL works
other dont work and give error
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'title' (T_STRING), expecting ')' in...

array_push($form_validate, validate_db_duplicate('title', mb_strtolower($TMPL['title']), array('LOWER('title')')));
array_push($form_validate, validate_db_duplicate('url', mb_strtolower($TMPL['url']), array('LOWER('url')')));
array_push($form_validate, validate_db_duplicate('acf_gameserver_ip', mb_strtolower($TMPL['acf_gameserver_ip']), array('LOWER('acf_gameserver_ip')')));
array_push($form_validate, validate_db_duplicate('acf_loginserver_ip', mb_strtolower($TMPL['acf_loginserver_ip']), array('LOWER('acf_loginserver_ip')')));

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
URL you do not need, its in the core and i dont know what happens if you try to overwrite it, remove that line

As for the error, you copied it wrong
Code:
 array('LOWER('title')')
You have altered the quotes around title, for whatver reason ;)

It needs the quotes like in my original post
Code:
array('LOWER(`title`)')