Drop /category/ long breadcrumbs

cajkan

I found that website/category/category name looks a bit long and the longer it goes its bad for google

So I've wanted to suggest instead of /category/ simply to drop that so it would look like:

website.com/category/category-name/
changed to
website.com/category-name/

It would look way more clean, and I've been analysing all my competitors and I've found out that they are using that kind of stuff.
So maybe an plugin or anything to remove that /category/

Personally I belive would be very useful for everyone.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is differentiating the URL's. The first segment dictates the "source", if we make categories top level segments then additional overhead would be need to check if its a category or not.

consider the example:

yoursite.com/join/
yoursite.com/user_cpl/
yoursite.com/category/
yoursite.com/sendmessage/
yoursite.com/stats/
yoursite.com/search/
yoursite/someothercategory/

This change would be substantial and would break all skins, plugins, and many core functions. Its simply not worth it considering these category URL's are short enough to not be penalized by Google.

remotay

Seems to be no issue actually. I just changed my .htaccess and replaced 'category' with 'games' and edited index.php so the category links are linked correctly.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to be no issue actually. I just changed my .htaccess and replaced 'category' with 'games' and edited index.php so the category links are linked correctly.
You will likley run into a few broken links in the skin and plugins but as long as you keep hacking that segment you can keep it working. It’s not a supported option but that’s the beauty of open source :)

remotay

Yep that's correct. I had to update a few other php files but its always in the same spot and the php is nicely commented. Just gotta update the // URL Helpers section!

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
1.9 is finally done. When you have it updated, you can make use of plugins to overwrite the category url helpers.
Well you can even currently, execpt for a new feed.php hook

you can make use of the plugin hook files ( place them into a new plugin )
feed.php - feed_start.php ( new )
index.php - global_start.php
sitemap.php - sitemap_global_start.php
ssi.php - ssi_global_start.php

This should be everything you need