Not Feasible Category Pools

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Q: What is a Category Pool?
A: A group of Categories, seperate from other groups of Categories.

Example:

- Pool 1: "Website Genre"
- Pool 2: "Website Language"
- Pool 3: "Free, Paid, or Trial Website?"

Q: Why?
A: So VisioList Admins can allow members more than one "category".

Example:

Bob runs a Coca-Cola fan site. It's a social networking page and you have to pay $4 to join.
Tim runs a Coca-Cola fan site. It's a forum, and it's free.
Ed runs a Pepsi fan site. It's just a single page that says: "I LOVE PEPSI!"

Bob joins your "Soda Top Sites" and selects the categories: Coke, Social Networking, Pay
Tim joins your "Soda Top Sites" and selects the categories: Coke, Forum, Free
Ed joins your "Soda Top Sites" and selects the categories: Pepsi, Page, Free

Q: Again, WHY?
A: Now visitors to your site can choose from more than one set of general categories. In the above example, clicking the "Coca-Cola" category would've brought up both Bob and Tim's sites when you were only looking for forums.

Q: Is this actually useful?
A: Of course. :p Imagine you run a Webcomic Top Sites List. You make categories for the Genres... Horror, Humor, Action, Super-Hero, etc. But how do you let people say their comic is "Black & White" or "Animated" or "Photo-Realistic"?

They shouldn't have to choose between "Horror" OR "Paid Subscription".

Q: Lay out how it'd work. This isn't actually a question, but please forgive me.
A: No problem, I forgive you. :D

Step 1: Admin creates a "Category Pool" titled: "Genre" and adds some Categories to it.

Now the Category area of the main website looks like this:

Genre
Horror
Humor
Sci-Fi
(etc.)

Step 2: Admin creates a second "Category Pool" titled: "Style" and adds Categories to it.

Now the Category area of the main website looks like this:

Genre
Horror
Humor
Sci-Fi
(etc.)

Style
Black & White
Color
Grayscale
Photography
Sprites

Step 3: Repeat the above as necessary until you have all the Category Pools and Categories you want!

Step 4: Optional! Go back and let users pick multiple Categories per pool. For example, maybe people can pick up to three Genre categories, but only one Style.

Example: David has a really funny webcomic about a serial killer who can never kill anyone. Is that Humor or Horror? It's both! He chooses two Categories from the "Genre" Category Pool.

So that's about the long and the short of it. If this seems more like a Plugin, I sorry! :) I think it'd make a better addition to the overall product, personally.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
TAGS >= Category pools :)

Tags are planned for the core, and will work similar to how you have outlined pools above.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Cool, glad my idea was so great that you retroactively went back in time and had it before me. XD Ha ha.

Nothing new under the Sun. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I coded the original topsite tag mod nearly 5 years ago... wow, cant believe how fast time flies

But as I have mentioned on this forum, the VisioList version of the tag mod must work more like categories and less like search results of the old mod. But only so many hours in a day unfortunately. We also have serious complications due to clean urls and category names that needs to be overcome first, but that will present more problems with tags... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, who9 knows might end up using more of your idea than I expect. :) always good to put ideas out there, never know what it might inspire.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Ah, cool. Maybe we spoke at some point - I was "motorhed" on the forums there. Had my top sites list up around 2005, etc. DDOS attack took it out and I've been shy about relaunching ever since. :X

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
ahh indeed stopping those DDos attacks can be brutal, I have a very aggressive counter-tactic that has worked every time but still gives me shivers thinking about those sohbet bastards and all the great topsites they killed around that time.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
The funny thing is that my webhost cancelled my account and removed all my sites - not just the top site - because they figured I probably encouraged the DDoS though some sort of unsavory behavior. :\