adf.ly integration - monetize your out clicks

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Update: after some further testing (read below) this mod is not quite working properly and is not recommended.

integration for adf.ly is a simple edit

1. Create an account at http://adf.ly

2. open table_top_row, table_row templates

find: {$url}

replace with:

http://adf.ly/123456/{$url}

Dont forget to replace 123456 with your tracking ID

and your done!

Bart

Don't forget the stats template :)
It also needs the replacement otherwise it will have direct links

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
To make it complete.
Here is a list of templates where member url is stored
table_row, table_top_row, table_row_premium, table_top_row_premium, stats, search_result, featured_member

leonor

License Active
i tryed it but its not realy working for me.
Only when i open the links in a new TAB its working for me.

Bart

The links will not work for you normally, adf.ly will normally restrict you from clicking on your own links and instead just put your through to the site.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Tried it on your site leonor. Its not working the slightest bit for me. Maybe there are country restrictions?

Bart

I've just had a look on your site and for some reason it is not working, you might have to contact adf.ly yourself.

ryancbarnes

I'm noticing the same issue that leonor is having. If I copy the link and paste into a new window, it's fine. But when I click the link from the page, it doesn't do anything except take me to the page I was going to. I've tried this also with an 'incognito' browser window (chrome browser) with no luck either. Any ideas?

(Just tried it from my Tablet and I dont get any adfly redirection at all.)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
you might want to check with adf.ly support forum and see if they have any ideas, I don't personally use this service.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
This issue is properbly because of the way we handle member out clicks. The url is internally rewritten by javascript so we can count a hit out for the member. once this happen, the adf.ly url part is lost.

To verify, pls disable javascript and then normally click a member url.
If it indeed is this there might is a easy workaround i think

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Ah ok, try this pls.
Keep what you currently have you for non-javascript users
For the others open wrapper.html and find
Code:
function out(link,username) {
    out_url = '{$list_url}/index.php?a=out&u=' + username+'&go=1';

link.href = out_url; // For browsers that don't support setAttribute
    link.setAttribute('href', out_url);
}
replace that with this ( not tested ), if it works also verify that out clicks are still counted, have the feeling that would not work with out clicks
Code:
function out(link,username) {
    out_url = 'http://adf.ly/123456/{$list_url}/index.php?a=out&u=' + username+'&go=1';

link.href = out_url; // For browsers that don't support setAttribute
    link.setAttribute('href', out_url);
}

leonor

License Active
Code:
have the feeling that would not work with out clicks
you're right :(

The link is working fine, but no counting from out click any more

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Just tried it out. It works, once you click the button in the top right. Only downside is that the url is looking ugly

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Thats not possible it seems.
You see a hit out is triggered by visiting index.php?a=out&u=username.
- We place something totally unrelated to our domain before the url. And that is a new http
- This is now not a url which belong to your site, but to adf.ly No way to count something
- When you click the link in the upper right there we have a url which belong to your site again, although visually transformed in a similar way we do it. Since its your url again, out.php can count the click

I guess this adds up to either use adf.ly and count no click out or rather much less out clicks than before, or dont use adf.ly

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
ahh right, makes sense. Looks like this would require some more coding to make work (perhaps redirecting to another file to count the hit, then redirecting out to the adf.ly url... ) instead of the simple integration I posted above.

I don't personally like the idea of hijacked out traffic (especially at those low rates) so unfortunately its not something I am interested in coding further as a free release. As a paid request if the interested parties wanted to pitch in together I am sure we could make it work for $25-$35.