{$unq_in_0_monthly}

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
Hi,

I'm just wondering if unique hit can be modify a little bit.
I'm using {$unq_in_0_monthly} for calculating it as Votes with recaptcha gate. Th eproblem I have is that everytime I restart router I can give a "vote". How that can be avoid so people even restarting routers and getting new IP will still not be able to vote (protection from cheating by adding more votes by changing IP).
I'm not sure but to do it its something to do with mask, internal IP address, etc (not sure).

Thanks

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
As far as iam aware you cant deal with changing ips. Think that issue is not only on this script but literally everywhere.
But iam not that good with ip related stuff, so i could be wrong, Mark is better there. Maybe he know if there is a solution

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well 1 thing we could do is set a cookie, but that would be trivial to cheat (user can simply delete the cookie). These are really the only 2 ways to track a user on the internet.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I cant find a link to click to count a vote, sorry no time for exploring at the moment.

Really though, the solution is still to "set a cookie" that does not expire upon voting which is quite easy to do.. And/or log the IP which we already do. There is no other way, you can confirm those sites above are using a cookie easier than I can, simply check your cookies after you vote.

we can add the cookie system easy enough, but it is still easy to cheat (delete cookies) so it serves very little purpose

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I voted, then cleared my cookies... without checking them first. oops :confused:

I cannot change my IP with router restart so I need to wait until I am allowed to vote again, to confirm the cookie is set. Again, you can check your cookies and you will probably see one there from that domain for tracking.

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
Even if you would be able to restart router, you wouldn't be able to give a "vote" cause of protection. Just wondering how these 2 website made that.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
that protection can only be a cookie ;) So if I restart my router and delete brwoser cookies I can vote again 99% sure.

CrazyCoder

hi guys, huuumm what about setting up a session, neverending :)))) hihihiiiiiii
then set in the session, some counter, allowing to vote every 24 hours.
on my tracker, my sessions do not allow to use vpn or router or proxy :)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
And how are you determining that a session is for the user currently voting? How do you identify him if not through ip?

ryancbarnes

Perhaps a 'sneaky' way to do it would be to dynamically rename a very small 1x1 image with the session name (i.e. UF63647f73y2nh1hfy.gif/png). That image would then be stored in the user's cache.

When the page loads, the SessionID is determined, image name changed, and fed to the user. If they delete cookie, reload their IP, as long as they dont clear their cache that SessionID image would still be there. Not sure if PHP can do this, (I think it can) it could look within the webpage's DOM to see if something like webpage.supersecretimage.name.SessionID_png.loadstatus was fully loaded or not. If the page did not request the SessionID.png from the server, then it could be assumed that the image came from the cache, and therefore the same person. If it loaded, it's a new visit or a clean session.

But then again, I'm not a PHP coder, and have no idea if this would work. Maybe it'll spark an idea or something. :)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
But still everything involves Ip. And working with cache is not a very good option. With browsers function to automatical delete cache when browser is closed this would also be trival to cheat.
Looking through websites dom is also not a good idea, that would put to much stress on button.php