Turn on reviews

Bart

You can always use Disqus, the default ratings/reviews are swamped with spammers who will try to get as many backlinks as possible from your site.

Would it be easier to require them to be logged in as in creating a topsites account and simply not having a site submitted? Our staff misses the rating system.

We've used Disqus for a past project and we found a lot of downtime with them. But, it's been a few yeas since we have used them.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
we have had much discussion about the rate/review system and people here dont seem that interested in using it so the feature has not been evolved at all. That said, you can enable the old review system by editing sources/details.php but know that feature is deprecated.

$reviews_on = 0;

change to:

$reviews_on = 1;

and the old school rating review should be good to go, if it gives you any issue let me know and we can get them sorted for you.

Disqus though is far superior, I have not noticed any downtime with them in the past 2 years.

Thanks Mark!

Okay, does Disqus have a page rating system at all? Or is there a way to make reviews posted through disqus and ratings on? Or just ratings & no reviews?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Disqus is just comments as far as i know, could be wrong though.
If you additionally wanna enable the star ratings ( abused as well ) edit the rate form template and simply remove the big textbox, that would leave you with just the ratings box.
You could also copy out the html of the form and input it into the stats template i think, never tried it though

There is also an option to show how many comments a site has, could update an update to the plugin the next days

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
you can enable the old review system by editing sources/details.php but know that feature is deprecated.

$reviews_on = 0;

change to:

$reviews_on = 1;

destiny

Hello, this is Destiny from OSEmpire Forum, maybe Mark and Basti still know me :). I am coding a new toplist with visio atm. I looked at disqus but I don't like it at all, so I recoded the system of visiolist. I run into this Problem at first: Once you turn on review moderation, the Rating eg. Stars, will be saved to the DB of the users site, even if you delete the review in the admin panel, because of a spammer.

Soooo, I recoded the rating and comment system: Ratings are stored with the Reviews in the same table now. If you delete the review in the admin panel, it will also delete the rating. If you approve it, the user rating will be added to the actual rating of the site the user rated for. If you delete the review after you have approved it, it will just subtract the rating from the site and you are good to go. I have recoded alot of stuff and added gravatar profilepictures, autograbbing usernames aso. Once I am finished with everything, I will try to help others with the rating issue. My site isn't finished at all, because I have to complete the tags system and some other core features like adding facebook API for login to rate etc, but I can show you a screenshot of the Rate & Review page.
dt-visio.png

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Yo destiny :) nice to see you here.

That looks like a step into the direction for our core. As it stands now, the base aardvark rate is simply disabled cos it lacks almost everything. New comment system was on the todo list a long time. Maybe we can put up something nice together in the near future

Be advised though, the edits you made to VL core will be lost on new updates. On that part we are different than aardvark. ( Plugins )

destiny

Hey Basti. Sure, I would love to do something with you guys and push visio even further. At the moment I am working on 7 projects including php, c++ and designing. But I always love to have other things to work on. Kind of a break for me. :p

Yes I know, but it is okay. I commented everything in my code, so it won't be that much of a pain. Perhaps one day I won't have any custom additions and it is already built into the core. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I know, but it is okay. I commented everything in my code, so it won't be that much of a pain. Perhaps one day I won't have any custom additions and it is already built into the core. :)
I think basti was trying to show you there is no need to edit the core, use plugins. We all modify the heck out of our sites, but hacking core files is just not needed, use the hook locations ;) if the hook you need doesn't exist we can add it easily.