smtp mail option

spremusik

hello to all.
i like to know if there is some option to send mail using smtp and not the sendmail
(my hosting dont alow me to use sendmail)
thx

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
We are overworking the mail functions, currently there is no built in function for smtp. Maybe in 0.8 it will be included (xenmailer instead of sendmail )

spremusik

in my opinion this is a must.
untill there wont be a smtp option, i'll cant use the top site :(
unless i find a way to do it myself

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Really, a host without sendmail. But well, until its included, you could automatical approve new members ( no admin approval ), then they get the link codes presented to their screen right after join.
Though, still no lost password or welcome email could be used.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I would go out on a limb and assume we are dealing with a free web host? If so, you will need a real web hosting account as hosting any topsite can be quite server intensive once you have a few active members. If this is a paid hosting service I would recommend you consider moving to a different host, there is no good reason to block mail().

That said, I will see about including SMTP support in 0.8 release, I'm sure it should be pretty straightforward :)

spremusik

i'm using a paid hosting. very cheap but crapy support.
i had my forum using sendmail. the hoster blocked the mail function without telling me so for 3 weeks no one coud activate his account on my forum.
when doing questions about this, they told me i was doing it wrong, and i must use smtp.
i'll wait to end my payd period and i'll definately change my host after that.
crapy support&services , but for 20€/year what can i ask more...
no 24/7 support...
pff
on topic,
will be nice to be able to use smtp or sendmail anyway. thx Mark

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
sure, will get back to working on including SMTP option for the couple folks who need it in version 1.0.