Screenshot not showing up

I have had screenshots that I know are in the screens directory not show up. No image is shown. I have cleared the cache. I even loaded in IE which I never use.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
indeed, usually sites join with the main URL not a sub page. That is how the screenshots are called (by the URL) having a / in the filename of the image causes problems. Should be fairly easy to workaround though.

Don't it already do this by replacing / with -.

Code:
      $parse = parse_url($TMPL['url']);
    $screenshot_url = $parse['host'];
    $screenshot_url = str_ireplace('/', '-', "$screenshot_url");
    $screenshot_url = $screenshot_url.'_med.jpg';

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yup but that function must be missing in some case on your list or during the rendering process, I need to spend some time testing this... oddly I have access to several lists with hundreds of members and this is the first report of such a problem. If you can provide details on exactly what is failing and how (look at the path the image is at VS the path showing in the code) we can get this resolved that much faster.

I rendered for visiolist.com and visiolist.com/community and both worked just fine:

http://visiolist.com/d/dev/

http://visiolist.servehttp.com/screenshots/visiolist.com-community.png
http://visiolist.servehttp.com/screenshots/visiolist.com.png

If you can provide a way for me to duplicate this issue, please let me know.

$screenshot_url = $parse['host']; changes everything to just domain.com and drops everything afterwards doesn't it.

I tested the by changing
else {
$TMPL['screenshot'] = "{$screenshot_url}";

it printed out domainname.com_med.jpg

The image on the server is domainname-forum_med.jpg

Just downloaded the screenshot plugin and looked at the code. It is different now

$domain_string = filter_var($TMPL['url'],FILTER_SANITIZE_URL);
$screenshot_url = trim($domain_string, '/');
$screenshot_url = preg_replace('/https?:\/\//', '', $screenshot_url);
$screenshot_url = preg_replace('/(\/)|(\?)/', '-', $screenshot_url);
$screenshot_url = $screenshot_url.'_med.jpg';

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
there are several places the screenshot name needs to be correct, and yes the _med part is fine this prevents you from loading oversized images.

1) Please provide a URL path I can try to duplicate the problem with ie. visiolist.com/community

2) Is the image showing up in your /screens/ directory?

3) if yes, what is the path to the image your table/stasts/newest members is pointing to compared to the path of the actual image in /screens/?

edit: yes you need to ensure your files are up to date.

Deleted the old plugin and reinstalled. Now I get the bigger image (200 pixels wide) on the ranking pages (not reduced to 70 pixels)

As stated a deleted the plugin and reinstalled. Now I get the bigger image (200 pixels wide) on the ranking pages (not reduced to 70 pixels)

The screens shots that were not showing up on the stats page are showing up.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Mark, yes was a cause by the old screenshot plugin. Now that you have replaced it, add this to your screen.css

Code:
.rankshot {border: 1px inset #fff; width:  70px;}
The reason youre getting a big image now is because it is not reduced in size anymore by the img width tag in the old plugin. So this css class was added

this change was introduced in the update from 0.6 -> 0.7 Beta 1.

So on the next update you perform, in case you update straight to the latest version, ensure you do update step 5 from the 0.7 beta update.

5) Redownload all plugins you have in use. This is due the utf8 change. And some recieved some upgrades or bug fixes.
--- Download plugin
--- upload through admin plugin manager to have your old files overwritten
--- plugins not to redownload: Ads, Clean Urls, Newest Members, Overall Stats, Screenshots. As you overwrote them allready with the upgrade bundle

Shouldn't a plugin remain compatible with the most current stable version? If not, you should list the version it is written and compatible for?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Well it remain compatible. Thats why it got an update along with 0.7 beta 1. With your version is was "broken partly" which was not even known long before 0.7 beta 1

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshots plugin distributes with the core, there is actually no need to download the plugin in most cases. You are using a version that has had several bugs fixed, so I offered you the latest files which include these fixes.

When I asked you to re-download the plugin it was because I had just uploaded a fresh one to that thread minutes before (instead, you implied that you had already done that. instead of doing as I asked), in a perfect world yes there would be no issues and you would know everything happening behind the scenes, but unfortunately that is just not the case today. You will need to follow instructions carefully while we transition from 0.6 -> 0.7 there are just too many changes at play with the UTF conversion which affects every single file in the bundle.

Mark - Sorry but how was I to know you updated the plugin? I just downloaded it within the hour. The plugins have not version numbers and updated dates.

Next issue is, the Newest member list, does not show the screenshot. The screen shot is showing up under the user stat page.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well, if you looked at the plugin I asked you to download you would have seen 0 downloads.

I suggest you wait for 0.7 final release if you don't want to install 0.7 beta2, I don't want to go through all the 0.6 bugs with you, they have already been fixed and I am trying to move forward, not back.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Simply put Mark, like i said before. All plugins in use need to be redownloaded ( if you run vl > 0.6 ).
And like mark Mark said better wait for 0.7 final. Just replace also newest member plugin to have it fixed (same issue with screens as before). The rest of the plugins update once 0.7 final is out.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
A new screenshot rendering process is now in place and will be included in 0.7 final release.

Features:

- shows real time updates as screenshots are captured
- ability to refresh individual screenshot incase of misfire
- 3 layers of checks to avoid all black screenshot
- no more suppressed DB error, screenshots are now rendered in a popup window to avoid MySQL timeout.