Rotating Banners To Show Different In Banner Rotator

Andy

Hiya,

Is there some way that I can control the banners that display in each banner break at all so that I could have different banners displaying in each banner break between the site listings? I have edited ad_break_top.html in the template for parabola template to show {$zone_c} but it seems to display the very same banner in every break until i refresh the page at which point it shows a different banner but in every break? I would like to display 11 different banners in the 11 banner breaks between all the site listings? Is this possible?

I wonder for example if there is some page in the template i could edit to place ad_break_top_2.html and ad_break_top_3.html in different break spots for example? But i cant see anywhere in any of the code in the template that allows for this?

Andy

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Iam currently in the process of updating the ads plugin, you can easy add new zones then. With that edit and a custom extra file for you, you will be able to do that. Ill keep you updated.

Note: this does not go into the core of the plugin, because what you want to do is quite heavy

Andy

Awesome thanks Basti :) If it helps i have the script from auto rank which allowed this type of thing which i can let you see? It might give you ideas on how to integrate... ?​

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andy, The plugin has been updated, please see http://visiolist.com/community/threads/ads.261/#post-8233
As it turned out, no new extra file for you. Not sure if that is enough for you, but now on each ad break a new random banner from the zone is generated.
Note that you have to move existing banners, when you add a new banner, you can choose to create a new zone and give the display type "ad breaks"

The zone name must be then either ad_break for the ad_break.html , or ad_break_top , which is specific for the ad_break_top.html template
Only for this display type you are forced to use predefined names, so the php can identify them correctly.

But iam sure you get used to this, if not feel free to ask

Andy

AWESOME! Thanks Basti! :) Sorry i didn't realise you had responded to this earlier. I only just logged in to check on something else and saw the mail :) Thanks bro, thats really helpful! :)

Andy

Andy

Hi Basti, just playing with this now :) Not sure i have it working properly. Where would i find 'display type' in the add banner dialogue box? I can see zone, banner name and banner code as well as the de-activtate after so many impressions but can't see anything for adding a 'display type' ? I may be misunderstanding what you are saying though.

Also, forgive the url if you would which is of an adult nature, but you did say to report any bugs? :) Im not sure if it is working properly. I have it set up to display banners at banners break 5, 10, 15, 25, 35 and so on in intervals then of 10 banners. I have not put any space between the numbers however there under ranking settings in the settings part of the script. I still get the same banner however appearing on all banner breaks except that it stops appearing after banner 15? http://www.spankingpalace.com/autorank ? Any idea if I have done something wrong or if this is a bug?

Thanks for everything with this by the way :) I really appreciate it :)

Andy

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Basti, just playing with this now Not sure i have it working properly. Where would i find 'display type' in the add banner dialogue box? I can see zone, banner name and banner code as well as the de-activtate after so many impressions but can't see anything for adding a 'display type' ? I may be misunderstanding what you are saying though.
That is available when you create a ad.
Did you clicked the link under the dropdown where you can select the display zone? A bit of html will popup there then.
Sounds like you did not reuploaded the files

That should also "fix your other issue", since you seem to use the same old method still and not have created a ad break spefific zone ( 2 possible - top and normal )

Andy

Hi Basti,

Thanks for that. Im still learning and figuring out the script but Im getting better :) You were right. I was not using the ad break specific zone. I am now however. And the banners are displaying properly now from sites 25 onwards. But nothing at banner breaks between sites 5&6, 10 & 11 and 15&16? So in effect the non display of banners has eversed?

I saved this code to btoh ad_break.html and ad_break_top.html so i presume it should work?

<hr>
<br />
<div class="center">
{$zone_ad_break}
</div>
<br />
<hr />

Do i need to save the banners in to 2 zones at all? 1 for ad break and one for ad break top to make the 3 non displaying banners on this page work?

If it helps, i do notice that on this page it is only the banner spots that follow sites showing banners that do not display? The banner breaks between sites that do NOT show banners DO display?

Andy

cajkan

You can test it Andy, if something goes wrong use "Back" button and start over, dont be afraid of testings.

Also you can simply add margin-top & margin-bottom to the <hr> and you dont have to close it.
And you can remove thouse <br />

Andy

Recently moved to a new server and I gone through the process as outlined above but not getting any of the banners to display in the banner breaks? I have the banner breaks set up and I've put the full url to the image files that the banners are supposed to link to in case they are in the wrong location but they just don't seem to show themselves? Any ideas? Check between banners 5 & 6, 10 and 11, and 15 and 15 for example at (advance warning for adult related website) http://overherknee.com/autorank/index.php ? Any thoughts on where I could be going wrong?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm nothing is being output at all, the adbreaks are showing but they are empty. Can you confirm the banners are active/enabled in the admin panel?

Andy

Hi Mark. Yes they are. Ive tried deactivating them and then reactivating them but that doesn't seem to change anything. Ive also set the same 3 banners (just testing out at the moment) up under 2 zones of ad_break and ad_break_top in case that should make it work but it doesn't. Im wondering now if it is server related. It IS a new server. Its running php at 5.3.24. Im wondering if its likely to be a permissions problem? But the banners are displaying if I put the code for each banner into the browser address bar? For example http://overherknee.com/autorank/banners/instfemdis.jpg ? But I do know the server support people mentioned that the server runs with 4 digits in its permissions rather than the usual 3 that Im used to working with when i set permissions in ftp. Its baffling...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm very odd indeed, lets try to narrow it down.

Try placing just XXX in your ad_break_top template and see if it shows up and YYY in your ad_break template. Templates should probably be edited at /skins/yourskin/child/

Andy

Doesn't seem to display on the page either.

I seem to remember i had some problem before when I edited the skin in child rather than the main skin which I didn't get when I edited the main one. But again that was a different server so maybe i would be better off altering it now...

This is of course after making alterations as laid out in http://visiolist.com/community/threads/ads.261/#post-8233.

I wonder if i update to the latest version of the script if the new banner rotator as outlined on this page will be in the new script?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm child templates should work no matter what the server environment, unless you have group/ownership issues.

Does your server meet our current requirements? Can you ask your host if your using a DSO php handler or suPHP/fastCGI? You can also login via FTP and look at the ownership of all the files, they should all be the same, when you look at templates in the /child/ folder are they owned by a different user perhaps?

Andy

That was probably the reason with the child templates on the previous server. We had problems a lot with Joomla needing 777 permissions to work properly I recall. This server there is no problem as far as i can see on ownership. everything seems to be owned by the same owner though its not showing in FTP (I checked in the file manager on InterWorx control panel for the server.

The server is using Fast CGI apparently.