Rating And Reviews? Any input?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Well lets see if we can get some brainstorming happening for a rating/review system. Is this function a good idea? if so, how should it be handled?

From my experience this is an often abused and rarely useful feature, but perhaps you have an idea how we could implement something fun that actually adds value to the list?

I don't see that it is needed. I agree probably more abused than used. I think the vote for a website is pretty much a positive review for the website.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Had a thought last night about an automated website rating system.

- test website speed / weight
- count http requests
- w3c validtion
- possibly others...

this way we can have nice little animated graphic on the stats pages, and possibly on the ranking tables.

Often it is more about content of a website that people like, than the workings behind a website. The average website visitor doesn't care that is loads in 2 seconds versus 0.5 seconds.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
no doubt, but there must be something we can do to add some value to our stats pages and ranking tables.

Karl

From my experience this is an often abused and rarely useful feature,
this can be an abused feature as spammers like it especially if the reviews are set to automatic but there are times when a site can get some actual reviews.

If this feature was to be improved I would like to see something along the lines where you could have the latest reviews or highest rated sites listed in a block possibly in the side column. I will have think a bit more about what could be done to improve this on stats or ranking page.

cajkan

You can add Captcha into it to aviod spammers

Also you can manage thouse previews

This is great idea Mark

Reason is :

Some website wanna add maybe Game guides / tutorials / game previews / server previews etc...

So basicly you get more then just an topsite ... You get WHOLE Site for only 29$

Keep the good job Mark

PPNSteve

PPN Top 50
I'd like it.. rating gives a visitor a quick idea of what others think of the site they're viewing and, spam issues aside, reviews can be useful as well.

I had tons from the previous Aardvark and kinda miss it a bit.....
Rate for sure, reviews with some caution.

Require login, use captcha or word thingy, etc.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
the disqus plugin offers a nice comment section to the details page the site to replace the old comment system. Although its a free third party service, its much more elegant.

PPNSteve

PPN Top 50
the disqus plugin offers a nice comment section to the details page the site to replace the old comment system. Although its a free third party service, its much more elegant.
I've just found out that if you run the Disqus comments plugin and ALSO run Google Adsense ads you will like become in violation of content policies.. Disqus is a 3rd party "streaming" and/or dynamic comment system and triggers a violation if spydered by adsense bots.

User beware.
YMMV

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Pleasse provide an offical statement for proove. I highly doubt a simple comment will conflict. What conflict and what you maybe mean is the possibility to display ads with disqus

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Yes please cite the exact part of Adsense terms that indicates this (url would be nice)I have read it carefully and was unable to find any such rule. I think this is one of those silly Internet rumours that get spread without due diligence.

cajkan

This is not true, google dont allow ads only on instant messaging system like some chat or some stuff.

You can highly customize Disqus; you can approve comments, you can moderate comments.
So you have all the power to manage all the bad words etc...

You can find more information about current topic here:

Start watch from 21:26 - Ads on dynamic content, you are allowed to use BUT you must moderate, and if you approve comments would be best solution, hope this helps you. ;)

PPNSteve

PPN Top 50
Dynamic content
Aug 8, 2013
Unresolved
Warning
ppntop50.com
Action is required to bring your AdSense account into compliance with our AdSense program policies. Please make changes to the above site within three working days. We will automatically review the site again after this time. You do not need to contact us if you make changes. Please be aware that if changes are not made within the required time frame, ad serving will be disabled to the website listed above. Learn more
Example URL: http://www.ppntop50.com/forward/bestona/
Publishers may not place ad code, search boxes, or search results alongside content which violates the AdSense program policies. This includes any inappropriate content which might be shared dynamically via live chat, instant messaging, or auto-refreshing comments.
Well I had disqus set to moderate and was using the out-going page.. i at first thought it was the auto-loading of the outgoing page.. but I disabled it and Adsense still said page was in violation.. disabled disqus and awaiting results... My guess is Adsense bot can't see the content when streamed from 3rd party (or assumes its dynamic) and is a generic flag.

Like I said, use at your own risk..

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Well were you using disqus ads?
Considered the following?
Maybe its the pagerank images? As far as i know google dont like this
Maybe the Amazon Associates?
maybe the Quantcast?
Quantcast measures and organizes the world's audiences in real-time
After all they dont explcitly say its disqus. In my opinion quantcast would fit way more into that criteria

cajkan

Example:
If you used disqus comments, / related content / and disqus ads are below comments, now if you add google ads below disqus comments you would violate their rules, google clearly states:
Show people what is content, what is ad. They dont want other ads near google ads, they dont want rotate their ads with other ads... but hey "we went offtopic". :)

If you could post scheme of your google ads on forward page, we could see better whats going on.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely you are linking to a site with illegal streaming content.

This happened to me on animelodge, I got the exact same notification before ads were disabled.