Member Username Edit error

Bart

Hi,

I am trying to change a username from "TheCrazyMan" to "TurboBit" for SEO purposes so that the SEO URL changes as well, unfortunately i get the following error:

Edit Member

Error

Invalid username. Please try again.

Any Ideas?

JoeyG

If it is really needed you can edit the database, I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this, but if it is a last resort.
The users are under "VL_sites" You can change the USERNAME there...
I have never done this, I'm not sure if it will affect anything else... Before you make any changes BACKUP the database!

You might want to wait for another reply.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Joey is correct, editing direct in the database is the way to go, however you must edit the VL_sites table AND the VL_stats table. And aside from updating the username you also need to update the "owner" field provided this is a parent account.

We do not offer username edit function in the admin panel because it will also break existing backlinks, and no doubt if we put it there people will use it irresponsibly.

Bart

Thank you for your replies :)

Although i think the user should be given the option to make the choice themselves, It's their own fault if they mess up their own site, if they are not given this option they will resort to what i am about to do which is meddling in the Databases which not every user knows how to go about, personally i would like to see a choice like this on the site to edit usernames.

And what did you mean by using it inappropriately?