How to create your Facebook Application

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Basti, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Basti
    • Staff

Basti Administrator Staff Member

Updated 23.08.2014

In Order to use some Facebook features on your toplist, it is required you setup an Application via Facebook. That is to let your list communicate with Facebook.

So, follow this step by step tutorial and you can in no time use these features.
    Tip: Clicking small images will enlarge them for better visiblity.

Required Steps
    Needed for "New sites advertised on your Fan Page" and "Facebook comments on stats pages"

1) Create your application https://developers.facebook.com/apps
    - It is important that you are logged in as the Admin of your Fan Page.
    1.png

2) Give your App a name and a category.
    2.png

3) Enter the security check.
    3.png

4) Enter your App domain and email.
    - App domain is without http://
    4.png

5) Choose App plattform as website and enter your website url. Once done save settings.
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png

6) Make your App public.
    - We do NOT need to submit app for approval, because only you will access the app!
    8.png

7) Copy your App ID and App Secret.
    - For App Secret, please click "show" to see it. This is facebook security.
    9.png

8) Now go to your VisioList admin page under facebook settings and paste your App ID and App Secret.
    Then save settings.
    10.png

Required Steps for "New sites advertised on your Fan Page"
    This can be skipped if you do not use this feature!

9) Copy your Fan Page ID and enter it into your VisioList settings page. Don't forget to enable the feature :)
    Afterwards, save settings.
    11.png
    12.png

10) After returning to this page, click "Allow Permissions".
    13.png

10.1) The "Allow Permissions" will open the facebook OAuth page where the needed permissions are granted.
    - If you are not logged into your facebook account, you will be prompted to do so. Again make sure you login as the Admin of your Fan Page.
    - Make sure you click "Okay" on all 3 dialogs or things will not function.

You will notice the warning at the top. This is because we didn't submit app for approval.
    But again, for the use of this app, that step wasn't needed, as only you, the developer use this app. As a result, that warning can safely be ignored.
    Personally that warning doesn't interest me, it just tells us no one other than you can gain the needed permission, which is what we want anyway!
    But i admit, it is a bit misleading, so it should hide from the app developer in my opinion. This feature is quite new i think , so we will see if we get more updates.

14.png
    15.png
    16.png

With this you have successfully setup all needed steps!
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    avidwebsolutions3, Screentzz and Mark like this.
  2. CraigKoz

CraigKoz Member

I was wondering where this was in the admin section .... cant seem to find it
  3. Basti
    • Staff

Haha yea, when i built this we had it in the core files like premium, but it has been removed. Though, the code is still flying around and just need to be built as a plugin, for which i hopefully find the time soon
  4. CraigKoz

CraigKoz Member

Yeah thats great i would love this as an plugin since pretty much everything uses FB today... Its just a major plus to have

Thanks hope to see it soon :)
  5. Basti
    • Staff

Just to keep everyone updated. This is now a plugin and will be released once VL 0.6 is out
    Mark and CraigKoz like this.
  6. Anna

Anna Member

Trying to get FB plugin to work finally and I have done as it says above but when I press Allow Permissions it says "An error has occured. Please try again." Whats up? What have I done wrong this time^^
  7. Basti
    • Staff

Hard to say, but i guess you still have your profile id in use. This does not work anymore as before. A fanppage has to be used now
  8. Anna

Anna Member

Nope - used the fan page id. But the strange thing is - I DO have (didnt bother to check before since there were an error) facebook button just below the twitter one on stats page and a facebook box to write in as well (dont like though that when commenting on fb the plugin uses any random screenshot it seems). But I do not have the buttons on the ranking page.
  9. Basti
    • Staff

This might ( pretty sure actually )be related to your screenshot issue. Facebook also uses Curl to grab the tokens from facebook application etc.
  10. cajkan
    • Licensed

cajkan Active Member

Yep everything works as it should

Thank you Basti
  11. Anna

Anna Member

OK, still cant get passed the Allow Permissions part. Just to be on the safe side: Is there something wrong with how I have written it in my application creation?

Attached Files:

12. cajkan
    • Licensed

cajkan Active Member

You must login into admin pannel and press Allow permission

Everything is ok on screenshot
  13. Anna

Anna Member

But thing is - I do this and I get a: "There is something wrong. Try again later".... Thats what I meant with not getting any further....
  14. cajkan
    • Licensed

cajkan Active Member

If you can give me teamview i could try to help and see whats going on
  15. Basti
    • Staff

App Domain: dont think the http://www. part is needed there. Try to remove it.

Beside that all looks ok.
    And you first inserted your app secret etc into admin and saved settings yes? and pressed allow after that?
  16. Kelly Ling

Kelly Ling Member

Does this plugin work? I'm getting the error message someone mentioned above - "There is something wrong. Try again later". Would appreciate any assistance.
  17. leonor
    • Licensed

leonor Active Member

18. Kelly Ling

Kelly Ling Member

OK - So here's another question. Why is the Visiolist logo showing up and not your topsites logo? I would want my logo to post since it is from my site, using the Visiolist program. The users and visitors of my top site have no idea what Visiolist is.
  19. Basti
    • Staff

Then update your settings :)
    You will see in the facebook settings part there is an avatar setting. It tells you exactly what it does.
    "Image to show next to the other info on Facebook"
    Just update the path to some other image
  20. webaddictdesigns
    • Licensed

webaddictdesigns Member

I've done everything above and it won't post to my facebook fan page. Had no trouble setting it up.
    For facebook settings the app domain is topwebs100.com my domain right? &
    Website with Facebook Login is http://topwebs100.com ? right?
    Sandbox mode is off also. I even got it to allow permissions in the back of my list.