Having Problem w/ Join email

madmaxxx

Hello,
New member accepted "Join emai"l doesn't seem to launch, checked on 3 emails now here is the strange thing if i mass email all sign-ups email goes though very strange...need a little check error log no errors

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm that is odd. Can you start a private conversation with me? Include your admin password and FTP login. If your not yet running v 0.7 please upgrade first.

madmaxxx

Hey Mark,

Sorry for the late response, very backup with work... I am sending all ftp details via your contact page. Thanks

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
for anyone else who might be experiencing this, PHP "safe mode" is not supported and is officially deprecated in PHP 5.3 and removed completely in 5.4.. If your host is using safe mode, ask them to update to the latest stable version of PHP and harden the security using suPHP and suhosin.

DaMadBoy

I'm also having the problem even though I have PHP 5.3.5 and MySQL 5.5.8. Could you post the solution to fix the problem? I'm using visiolist version 0.9.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
What is the exact error you are getting? safe mode is deprecated in 5.3 (you should not be using it, the best solution is to disable safe mode)

DaMadBoy

I'm not actually getting an error. I have set my settings so that I receive emails when a new user joins the list but I haven't been receiving those emails. It's not an issue with the email address as I can get emails just fine with it. It's not a major issue, just would be nice to have the emails come through.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
what is your URL so i can join and see if I can get an error message? Also make sure you are running 0.9 if your not already

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
are you on 0.9?

open your index.php and find:

//error_reporting(E_ALL);

replace with

error_reporting(E_ALL);

also set

$CONF['debug'] = 0;

to

$CONF['debug'] = 1;

then try joining and watch for error messages

DaMadBoy

I tested it but I didn't get any error messages when signing up. All I got was this message: "Thank you for joining! Your site will be listed when the admin approves it. You will receive an email with more information when your site is approved."

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
can you confirm that your server has the PHP mail() function enabled?

you can test with this:
PHP:
<?php
mail('you@yourdomain.com','message subject','Message Body');
?>

no error message is very unusual... the function clearly works

DaMadBoy

Thank you for your help, I found out the problem was because sendmail wasn't actually installed on my server. I fixed the problem by installing sendmail, it is working fine now.