GDPR Consent plugin?

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by kapearl, Jun 20, 2018.

1. kapearl
    • Licensed

kapearl Member

Maybe this would be better as a core feature request or general help but a cookie consent banner for the wrapper and gateway page is now necessary it seems.

I have a snippet of code from one of my advertisers that offers a free CMP for their clients that I placed in the wrapper and gateway that didn't work. Forgot it needed a plugin to render so I thought I throw it out here if there is another way. It's been so long since I've worked on the site I've forgotten how to make a plugin. Or how are other people adding the consent banners?
  2. Mark
    • Staff

Mark Administrator Staff Member

I can make this plugin no problem, feel free to make some recommendations or examples of good ones. Very few websites I visit actually have these (I suspect maybe only shown to EU visitors) so I'm not sure what makes a good consent banner VS a not so good one.
  3. kapearl
    • Licensed

kapearl Member

Thanks Mark! Here's one: https://www.insidebeer.com/

It's fairly simple. Personally I like simple. The link to the cookie site is nice for people who want to find out more.

Ideally, it would be great if it only showed for EU visitors but I have no idea what that entails. The system that I wasn't able to implement had a option to not show the banner to that person again for a certain amount of days. So if it shows up for everyone is there a way to hide it for a while once they accept? Or hide after scrolling so return users can get away from it quicker.

I've seen sites that have these and all sorts of tracking is loading in the background while the banner is up. I was under the impression that the the banner should halt all cookie loading until scrolling or clicking OK. Like this one: https://www.independent.co.uk/us. They have a consent banner but everything (ad tracking, analytics, etc) has loaded before clicking I accept.
  4. Morus

Morus www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com

Mark likes this.
  5. kapearl
    • Licensed

kapearl Member

Thanks Morus! That one worked.
    Mark likes this.
  6. Mark
    • Staff

Mark Administrator Staff Member

All good with that then? :)
  7. kapearl
    • Licensed

kapearl Member

I'm new to this but that seems to do the trick!
    cajkan likes this.