Gateway Page Help

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
are you having trouble with cheaters? what makes you want to block all incoming traffic with annoying captcha?

We get this request a few times a year, we will never add this feature unless we actually see a case where all other cheat detection has proven failed (hasnt happened yet). I see captcha on a gateway page as undesirable and unnecessary.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
The gateway page itself is cheat protection, we do not support adding that in. Filling a captcha just so you can vote is useless. Everyone have to stop looking and copying what the 10 years old topsites do. They do that because their scripts have no better protection.

If you must, a search helps, there has been code posted by a member to include it, but its manually and lost when updating. Not only because of that, but of the above, i see no reason why you need that

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
but your list has not yet been cheated correct? If it has, I would love to work with you (at no charge of course) to ensure Visiolist is NOT one the "most topsite scripts" this software works on.

Blocking traffic to your list with captcha for something as trivial as a "vote", is like spreading butter on toast with a machine gun :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
- even with recaptcha in the gateway its easily passed by the software you mention (around 9 minutes you can see how recaptcha is passed).

lets find a more sensible way to block this software, I can think of 4 or 5 tricks we can use to block it, I am sure at least 1 would work :)

cajkan

I am using VL active almost 3 months, and im not using reCaptcha or anything

Simple Gateway will fix all of thouse problems...
Dont worry too much about gateway page theres lots of more important stuff to do ;)

kalle801

There is, but i think you dont want to make it ^^

There have been posted many proofs that this is a problem. I'm a bot creator my self and its possible to cheat like hell on voting scripts. a Recaptcha makes this not impossible but heavy more hard to cheat.

kalle801

I mean, there is already a Recaptcha option in the join form, isnt it possible to use this on the gateway page too?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
please read this thread again carefully, before claiming I dont want to make anything. That is simply untrue.

but your list has not yet been cheated correct? If it has, I would love to work with you (at no charge of course) to ensure Visiolist is NOT one the "most topsite scripts" this software works on.

Blocking traffic to your list with captcha for something as trivial as a "vote", is like spreading butter on toast with a machine gun :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
There is, but i think you dont want to make it ^^
sure sounds like a claim to me :)

yes 3-5 people out of 1000+ asked for this function, I have always asked to work with ANYONE being abused by bots because I don't think captcha is smart for incoming traffic, i 100% believe there is always a better way. Captcha's suck.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
As i have said, I need to see the problem first... To date not 1 single person has been able to produce a bot or a user using a bot.

kalle801

ah lol okay, ill create a bot and register a site on your toplist. So you can see what i mean.

If its not a problem for you.

vnevermore

Actually a captcha cant resolve that kind of problems, developer's should make more advanced checking with the vote's and not just if the ip is the same.
A good idea would be to also check cookie's and a combination of some other things/tricks.

Check above a video how i botted with my single pc 5 votes in just 1 minute using the inbuild hola broswer proxy shit.
The amazing thing is that all my vote's are valid for visiolist since my ip is changing everytime.