Implemented Formatting in description field

Sshadow

I wanted to see if it were possible to add either BBCode or HTML formatting options to the description field for sites. I really feel this would benefit this script and all the sites that use it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
HTML is a no because of security implications.

BBcode is doable (infact I already have coded this for Aardvark so just a matter of converting it to a plugin)

Any particular bbcode requests? Bold, italic, image, link anything else?

Sshadow

Hmm I would also like to see a center and also on my phpBB forum I have a special [hr][/hr] implemented for the <hr>(I think it is) for the horizontal line. A color=#FF0000][/color would be great as well. Finally if you could make the link one be url=http://blahblah.com][/url that would be great as that is what many of us are used to. I omitted the ] and [ in several places as it was being used in the post :)
Sorry if I am seeming to picky here. I would just like to see it with all the main features most are used to in BBCode.​
Thanks.​

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
After spending some time implementing this I had a few thoughts and have decided to take this in a slightly different direction.

Problem: The description is used in many places throughout the site (featured member, ranking tables, newest members, rss feed, meta tag). If BBcode is included in the descriptions then it must also be parsed (or stripped) in all the outputs which becomes slow and bad for useability in things like RSS feeds where feedreaders, aggregators and importers usually do not convert BBcode.

Solution: Several times in the past I have added a "Long description" field which is only displayed on the sites profile page, in this long description BBcode can be easily converted. So instead of replacing 1000 instances of BBcode of every page load of the rankings (and likely having a very un-unifom and ugly looking page) we just do it to the long description which is only visible on the individual sites profile.

This is a much more efficient way of handling this, and offers the best end result. I expect to have this ready as a plugin in 1 week or so.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder, things got busy and we have been short handed around here the past couple of weeks. I will have this posted by next weekend.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your patience, the beta release of this is available in the plugins section.

Next release (2-3 days) will have the <hr /> tag you requested.