Implemented Exit Page

Bart

Heya :)

I have a suggestion on how to combat right clicking non-counts and reduce bounce rate at the same time, recently Basti created a Exit page Plugin which i think should be included as a core-feature in every Visiolist version with the ability to disable it.

The reason why i think it would be good is because it would reduce the right-click non count if it was made the primary out url, as in that whether a right click or left click the user would have to be taken to that page instead displaying the site url when you hover, this way a out click would only count if the user would go through the exit page which would make out clicks a lot more accurate as it would also count every right click as it currently does not for my site.

The benefit:
1. It would lower the bounce rate which is good as Google would see this as your site having relevant content as it did with mine (i assume) my Bounce rate user to be a constant 50% - 60% which quite bad as it shows the majority of users are leaving after 1 pageview which shows that they did not find your site interesting enough to look at more pages, my bounce rate is currently 29.68% on average for the past month which is quite good.

2. It would give you the chance to thank the user for using your site.

3. If would give you more page views in general which means if you have adverts you would earn more on CPM

4. You can add some adverts on the exit page thereby earning more from adverts.

5. You would reduce non-counted hits to other sites which would give you more hits in the stats which would look a lot more appealing to potential webmasters.

Example of a Exit page that Basti has created:
http://maxleech.com/forward/rapid8/

Although the problem still remains with the right clicking, this can be fixed by removing the target sites url while hovering over their listing have a look at the target site while hovering:

if i look in the source code of that page i see this:

HTML:
<a href="http://rapid8.com/" onclick="out(this,'rapid8');" class="show_banner" title="Rapid8 - Rapidshare, Bitshare, Oron" rel="nofollow">Rapid8 - Rapidshare, Bitshare, Oron</a>
Now the "out(this,'rapid8');" could be place in the Exit page and only be activated if a user goes through the exit page and the "http://rapid8.com/" could be changed to the exit page URL, yes that minute detail might not look as nice but it's costing us outclick stats which look really good to potential webmasters who might give us a load of traffic.

Or this could be turned into a plugin :)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
This will not become a core, remains as plugin.

The reason why i think it would be good is because it would reduce the right-click non count if it was made the primary out url, as in that whether a right click or left click the user would have to be taken to that page instead displaying the site url when you hover, this way a out click would only count if the user would go through the exit page which would make out clicks a lot more accurate as it would also count every right click as it currently does not for my site.
And you are wrong about the fix with the out. It is and what always a browser compabitlity issue, which was fixed several times over the years, but as browser updates, the code sometimes break. It doesnt matter if you place the js bit in the url on the exit page or on the list itself, nothing would change.

The out hover link wont be changed. The hole javascript hits out counting was exactly for the reason to present the member url, while still counting a hit out.
If we go back, we go another step closer to what every other topsite script does. And that will not happen

Bart

If we go back, we go another step closer to what every other topsite script does. And that will not happen
Every other topsite script has a fully working out click system, whats the point of having a different one which might not always work because of a browser change, just a suggestion maybe you should have it in the admin panel an option which one the user would rather choose. I personally would rather have a full working out system that counts all hits instead of a fancy hover which does not always work when counting stats.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Basti is correct, the clean outbound links are extremely attractive to encourage members joining, redirects are undesirable to link builders. to be clear, its not just a fancy hover ;) its a regular HTML link.. but the beauty is you are free to hack your list anyway you like :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the number of people using right click to open outgoing links (and correct me if I am wrong but the stats are not counted only in certain browsers) is a very minimal number, and is not worth the trade of losing truly SEO friendly links.

Bart

For me it doesn't work in chrome/firefox, i just think of it if it was me, i always right click and open stuff in new tabs, I'm sure everyone right clicks a lot, in a topsite it would make sense to right click because it is listing the top 10 forums and you might want to see the top 3 at the same time and open then in new tabs or the top freebie sites ect...

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Same issue here for me as Bart. But it defenetly is a browser issue as of now, as iam 100% certain the code we have worked previously ( sat myself several hours to fix it )
And its not like it breaks on every browser update. Maybe 1 time in 3 years if not less.

And we will make it work again, just to make myself clear :)