Emails showing repeat in same email

gsharpe1964

Hi Mark, Basti

Just sent an email to all my topsite member, one of which is my own site ;)

However, the message appears twice in the email with this inbetween ??

Code:
' | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
X-Source-Dir: forumtopsite.co.uk:/public_html

I'm a little worried that the members might think it beinmg some sort of virus or malware?

Anything i can do to get rid of this??

Cheers

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yeah thats a weird one to be included in the body, I have never seen that before... let me see what I can find about this.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Alright I confirmed this is not happening on any of my servers. I also notice that your screenshot API requests also include this extra info... which seems like something to do with your server configuration.

Try this for me if you could.

Create a new file called hmmm.php

put this code in it (change both instances to you@yourdomain.com to your own email address):

PHP:
<?php
mail('you@yourdomain.com','hello!','This is just a test','From: you@yourdomain');
echo 'mail sent';
?>
then upload this file to your host and point your browser to it (yourdomain.com/hmmm.php), then check your email and see if the extra headers are being included there.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm and no extra stuff showing up.. very odd. This is the same function we use to mail members and for the screenshot API where your server is adding the extra path info, really have no idea whats happing there. Perhaps your host has an idea? I'll do some reading and see if I can find anything helpful.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
According to cpanel its WHM´s fault ( settings )

This is likely stemming from WHM > EasyApache (Apache Update) having had "MailHeaders" selected under the PHP Options in the Exhaustive Options list. Here are details on what that option does:

CHOON.NET : Resources : Scripts & Patches : PHP Mail Header Patch

This is a security feature that allows the server administrator to track down the script being used whenever an email is sent in case someone is trying to spam. If you are the server owner and decide to shut this off, you will be ensuring anyone else on the machine won't have this information logged for you to track it down later as well.
So your apache update included the new mail() options ( which adds these headers ). This is to prevent spam, if you spam people they can use this to identify you and report as far as i understand.
I think you cant shut this off yourself, especially if you are on shared hosting. If you are on a dedicated it might be wise to ask your host if it can be disabled.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
wonder why though it doesn't add those headers in my above example? still a mystery to me.