Ive visited WMT and i had some notifications about Duplicate title tags

First problem was in gateway pages, so ive added {$title}
HTML:
<title>{$title} - {$lng->gateway_header}</title>
Now i have problems with this
/rank/26/in/
/rank/in/
yoursite.com/index.php

This 3 pages have the same Title and google counts them as duplicates...

Any ideas, suggestions how to solve this ?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
/rank/26/in/
/rank/in/
all those different ranking pages are not anymore crawled by google in the latest SEO plugin, so i guess its leftovers for you. We removed them from beeing indexed exactly because of duplicated content

Gateway pages should not matter anyway, gateway pages are not indexed, so if google shows duplicate content there or not is of no relevance

leonor

License Active
Gatewaypage, yes i had the same on my List, i deletet them in WMT and blocked crawling them

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose you guys have this issue when using non google friendly links yes?

Find it odd though, google should not see that page at all. Be careful when blocking, did you blocked index.php?a=in&u=username?

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
I think with that you will stop passing pagerank to your site. Dont take me 100% for it, but i think this pagerank pass rule still applies

as all your members link to ?a=in&u=username , you block these urls using a robots.txt , telling google not to crawl these links.
So all your backlinks become pointless ( normally passing pagerank value from index.php?a=in&u=username to main domain because of the redirect ), so you stop access to index.php?a=in&u=username and google dont pass pagerank value to that url, hence also not to main domain

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
If this happens a lot, we need to find some other way to prevent this. One good way would be cajkans method simply placing the title in the header. Seems simple yet effective

cajkan

Thanks Basti i`ll try to update the plugin

i didnt update coz into changelog i saw this
Updates
28.01.2013 - Now uses h1 tags instead of h2

and ive already made h1 tags myself but didnt know about
/in etc...

and suggestion how to fix this duplicate problem
yoursite.com/index.php

/index.php gives duplicate too

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Well yoursite.com/index.php is duplicate of yoursite.com/ i would guess yea? practially means you or someone else is linking specific to it ( no one should normally ), i would remove that from google index and just keep the yoursite.com/ one.
Find it odd though that they say its duplicate, both urls are the same yes, but its like for every website out there

Ill have a look later if maybe once yoursite.com/index.php is typed a redirect might not be bad, we will see

leonor

License Active
I have still duplicate Title Tags with "/index.php" and "/" is there a new/other solution?

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
first, it gateway put this in the head to prevent gateway pages from being indexed.

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, FOLLOW">

I have still duplicate Title Tags with "/index.php" and "/" is there a new/other solution?
Try this in your .htaccess file and see if that takes care of it for you

Code remomved by Basti. Breaks logins. php method included in 1.4

Last edited by a moderator:

cajkan

About Mark's code -

Remember that google dont index your website instantly, so it may take a while untill you see the result.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
The index.php issue has been taken care of in vl 1.4 along some other seo optimizations via php, so it also works for people without access to htaccess

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Removed the htaccess method from Mark's post. That one breaks logins at least via admin, most likely also user login
request url -> type password and submit -> htaccess drops off index.php ( redirect ) and login data is lost