Don't ignore zero-hit listings...

chwolf

No longer a customer.
I recently got an e-mail from a confused user who couldn't find their listing on my ranking site.

I quickly realized it was because they had zero hits in, and the default listing on my site is set to hits in.

So they were left completely off the list.

I'd like to instead see everyone with "zero" in *ANY* ranking style listing at the end after all the people who do have hits in, hits out, whatever the rank order.

For simplicity, zero sites would just be alphabetical.

To clarify, let's say you order the site by "hits out", and half your users have ZERO hits out... right now they're just left off the list like they don't exist.

I want the option (at least) to have those "zero hits out" people tagged onto the end of the list after all the people with hits out.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Chwolf, check your plugins, you might have one which remove sites with 0 hits in.
If not you might have set in admin setting to remove inactive sites after XX days. By the look of your behavour it might be that it is set to "1"

chwolf

No longer a customer.
I must have a bug in the system, then.

Inactive account removal has always been set to 0, disabling it. There's also no "remove zero hit sites" Plugin.

The listing in question reappears when I order the list by "Pageviews". It's only dropped when rankings are listed by hits in or out, which it has zero of.

Well, at least I know to make a bug report instead of Plugin request! Thanks, guys.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Oh, and site URL is http://webbedcomics.com

I used to use Aardvark back in the day, but got DDoS attacked and dropped from my host. A few years later I found Visiolist. :)

To see one of the sites that gets dropped from listings, look at the most recent, "Tix Comix". You can see it as most recent registered site, but you can't find it in the two pages of listings.

Then, if you order by pageviews, you can find it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
this might be an issue if you have several members "tied" with zero, I seem to recall this bug and honestly thought I had fixed it in a very early release of VL, I'll take a closer look at this asap but that seems to be the issue here.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Yes. It's a very odd problem. I'm sure I have a lot of zero-hits folks. People sign up and then never put the link in their site, or nobody clicks when they do, etc.

I have no idea what's going on, but if that's a known issue I guess that could be it. As I say at least I know it's not normal, now! :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Can you try this for me?

open sources/rankings.php and find:

PHP:
    $order_by = $this->rank_by($ranking_method)." DESC, unq_{$ranking_method}_overall DESC";
replace with:
PHP:
    $order_by = $this->rank_by($ranking_method)." DESC, unq_{$ranking_method}_overall DESC, tot_out_overall DESC";
This should break ties with the total out count (hopefully)... untested, but let me know how it goes for you

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
great to hear! thanks for the report :) we'll include this in the next release.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Mark, its better to use join_date for the last order by. On lists with less hits out, the same issue will reappear.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
total hits out is a pretty dynamic stat, but go ahead and test join date. If it works lets use than instead.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
It is and will most likely work out for the majority of sites, but as list grows even overall_out might be less optimal as the chance is high that the user never gets any hits out