CGI PHPNOT detected

randomcash

Hi
Just purchased the software and installed it.

I see:
CGI PHP NOT detected. You MAY encounter some file ownership problems when editing files uploaded through the admin interface

But i do have a CGI folder and PHP of course on the VPS

I have CHMOD the files and directories accordingly (everything turned to "green") except the CGI/PHP thingo ?

What shall i do ?
Thanks

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that thing is recommended, makes your life just so much easier when you not have to mess with chmodd in ftp at all or set up file ownership :)
Your current php handler is mod_php (DSO), which by is the fasted but has these huge file drawbacks
FastCGI or suPhp are also php handlers, usually host can add either of that within minutes

Issue a bit explained,
if you not have 1 of these, you cant edit your skin through admin panel, because the php handler cant edit a file not owned by them
You can upload plugins, but you cannot edit them via ftp if needed or even delete them manually via ftp, overwrite them etc. Because your ftp user does not own the files, but that php handler
You cant modifiy language through admin, as again php not owns the files ( they are owned by ftp user )

Those php handlers will fix this stupid limitations at the cost of a little more memory useage or CPU, which in this day shouldnt be any issue
And the security they offer because you can skip chmodd is also another major point

suPHP has low memory useage but bit more cpu useage
FastCGI high memory but less cpu useage

Personal preference by Mark and me is suPHP, but some host cant install it due some limitations with other programs. In that case FastCGI would be the choice.
Either way, try to get 1 of them :)