Branding Free Plugin Nonfunctioning

chwolf

No longer a customer.
I hate to be a pest, but I just uploaded the Branding-Free Plugin, and not only does it not appear on the list of Plugins via admin interface, but also there's no change in the branding status of my site.

I checked, and it *did* upload to the server, but again it doesn't show up on the list of installed/installable Plugins and the site doesn't allow me to remove branding. :\

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
that plugin is used on several lists including our /demo/ where its comnfirmed working fine when uploaded via admin->plugins, and does show up on the list of installed plugins. This plugin automatically hides the powered by link in the footer as soon as its uploaded, the VisioList logo image however needs to be removed manually from wrapper.html

Based on that error it looks like your using IE (and apparently IE now has a problem with the jquery file upload module) I will investigate this closer tonight, but in the mean time you can try firefox or any other browser and you should not have any issues.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
fair enough, you can also extract the zip file and upload to your plugins dir via FTP.

I assume/hope you are at least running IE9?

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Hang on, I just connected 2 + 2. lol

My original concern was that the branding image was still on the site. If the Plugin removes the text but not the image, then the problem isn't the Plugin.

*forehead slap*

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
bummer, your missing out on the magic and elegance of CSS3, normally I would make at least a small effort to convert you to the ways of the webmaster... but I suspect you have already been down that road... 1 day of surfing with a modern browser is usually enough to convert anyone these days. Anyway, thanks I'll work on the upload bugfix for IE8.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
I'm a webmaster. I just don't care enough about pretty effects (most people can't see since the majority of internet users are on old browsers) enough to be an "early adopter". :) I'll get to it... some day. Heh.

But thanks for passing over the attempted conversion. I hate those. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
(most people can't see since the majority of internet users are on old browsers)
in the interest of accuracy I cannot resist this correction. According to w3 schools, the majority of internet users today are actually using modern browsers, IE users in 2012 are the vast minority (thankfully the days of 2006 and earlier are long behind us).

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I would hardly call using 6 year old technology "early adoption" ;)

I digress.... damn this is hard to walk from lol especially when talking to a webmaster...

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Suffice to say I don't subscribe to bells & whistles that don't enhance the actual function of a website. All I know is that when certain sites update their fancy tricks and slick effects, it takes longer to load. :)

If you've ever used DeviantArt... man... their messaging system was fine, but then they decided to slick it up and now half the time when I delete a messsage, it just sits there looking at me because the "delete" visual effect didn't load properly. :\

The entire web is going style over substance. Talk about your everyday nonsense while things flash, fade, and dance around for your pleasure, looking very pretty and offering nothing of substance. Meanwhile I miss the days people made their own "ugly" websites instead of joining the latest coporate info-gathering facade for fear of not being seen or heard due to a non-slick layout. D:

</rant>

chwolf

No longer a customer.
As an aside, there's nohing "vast" about that minority, ("vast minority" would be probably around the single digits) and it's based on their logfiles... As the site itself says: "You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Well I would consider 80% the vast majority, though I admit the phrase is overused when making a point :) When you look at the IE market share slide in the past 5 years, and the fact that IE10 was released shortly after IE9 (I consider both to be good modern browsers with CSS3 support) its not hard to deduce IE8 and earlier versions are facing end of life due to loss of market share...

Without a doubt I have spent more time working on solving IE specific bugs than I have developing for all other standards compliant browsers combined. Hence the reason why there is so much animosity from coders towards IE, and these discussion break out so often.... Every version renders CSS differently, they had huge market share, and they have a very large unaddressed bug base, sort of explains itself really. I still cannot believe in 2012 any webmasters would be using IE with all the great development tools available for FF and chrome, in that respect IE is also waaay behind. But if you don't write/troubleshoot code these time saving tools are moot, or perhaps some just dont know what they are missing.

But I gotta get back to work, I have yet another <= IE 8 exclusive bug to fix :) lets see how many hours of my life this one steals from me and prevents me from producing productive new code lol

chwolf

No longer a customer.
There are several problems with how you're going about your PoV. (Though, naturally, everyone is entitled to go about forming their PoV any way they choose.)

Let's examine...

1.) You're claiming IE is the "Vast Minority" because 80% of people use other browsers. This position is flawed in that you're creating an "IE vs. Everyone Else" basis for your statement. It doesn't make any sense and it looks a bit like you're working backward from "I dislike IE" to "Let's take every other browser vs. IE" to "IE is the vast minority". :)

If 20% of people drink Coca-Cola, 25% drink Pepsi, and then an assortment of other brands round out the other 55%, are you really going to try to tell me Coca-Cola isn't doing incredibly well? <_<

2.) Again, you're using one site's statistics - and statistics are flawed by nature... especially when they're based on "our logs". If I based results on logs I gathered via my own endeavors, would you take that to be the absolute truth? Some have IE at over 40% of market share for 2011... why believe your data and not the other? Why not round off both and meet in the middle at least? (And in any case, we're still not talking about a vast minority, anyway.)

3.) IE Controled the "vast majority" for a long time. Are you really going to look at an achingly slow decline from "Super-Huge Mega-Monster" to "Normal Size" and claim it's anything other than an equaling out of the market? There were fewer viable options and IEwas King. Now there are viable options and IE isn't King. Anyone who thinks IE is dying instead of becoming a "commoner" is fooling themselves.

4.) As a webmaster (though not as talented as yourself) who cralwed out of the mid-90s Geocities trash dump, I feel comfortable saying with all the time/experience that making a website work cross-browser - even in buggy browsers - is part of the deal. The webmaster's duty is to create a site that works for everyone, just as the road crew makes a street that works for 1980s Sedans as well as Hummers. Just like programs should (ideally) run on computers that aren't cutting-edge top-of-the-line models... though of course MMORPGs are often the exception.

I don't know of any other business (off the top of my head) where there's such (present company excluded) snobbish and elitist behavior at the expense of one's own userbase. Everyone with an ancient copy of IE6 is a prospective customer, a prospective fan, follower, even a friend, to the webmaster. Can you imagine a film company putting their material out on Blu-Ray and essentially saying "upgrade or get lost" to anyone who hasn't upgraded?

And yes, it can be a matter of cost - even with a free browser. Plenty of people are on ass-backward PCs they got for their birthday six years ago, or simply can't afford to otherwise upgrade. As software progresses, these folks are often left behind - told they should be upgrading their software when they literally can't without purchasing a memory upgrade, a new device, etc.

Meh.

I miss the old internet, I guess. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
so you basically use IE because its "good enough", it comes pre loaded on your PC, and its what your used to. You know about but dont need any features any other browser offers. Fair enough. We use the web a bit different obviously, I couldn't live with IE's right click menu... that alone is a deal breaker for me.

I use all the other browsers because they are faster, require less RAM, offer tools that aid with my job, and make the web look prettier without requiring any bloated code, they also dont render pages very different from version to version like IE. I only use IE to test and make sure it works for those using it, I'm not suggesting we stop coding for IE... Though I would love to see people stop using it so someday we could, or MS is forced to create a web standards browser... which, they did! I had mentioned earlier using an alternative browser as a temporary workaround only because you are the first person (webmaster or not) I know without an alternate browser installed. I was unaware of your monogamous browser views. hehe

not surprisingly I still like the substance of my perspective and see nothing wrong with the way I view the browser war , you made some good points above, and some weak points IMO :)

So whats next? talk religion... have some beer? lol j/k

Anyway I removed the troublesome uploader code and went back to plain old file upload box without the AJAX progress bar, this will be included in 0.7 release. Though from my tests the current uploader does seem to work fine in IE7/8/9 aside from the nasty javascript error.