Not Feasible Assorted Small Listing Changes

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Just a few quick-fire suggestions related to the listing boxes on the main top sites view.

1.) Banner image for "top" # of listings, small button for those after. (To ProjectWonderful.com size specs if possible.)

2.) slight color-coding of listings by category. For example if I set "drama webcomics" category to "blue", the listing CSS for sites in that category would have a "blue" background. It'd be up to the site owner to make sure they pick nice colors and shades thereof, etc.

3.) Ability to "expand" the listings below the "top" few. IE: Small listings that are below 5 or 10 or whatever the admin sets to the "top" few. Just a [+] button that expands a small listing to the same format as a "top" listing would suffice.

4.) Ability for admin to have the listed site's URL and the username (linked to profile? :D ) on the listing box itself. Sort of like how Google Ads have the URL on there. Some folks might want to bookmark a bunch of URLs to check out as opposed to clicking and loading each listing right then, etc. etc.

Apologies if any of these options exist, I must've missed them - new to the fork, etc. but old hat with ATP.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
1. Dont understand that one right now. Little slow today :)

2. For such things you could set skins by categories. use a completly different one for each category or just change slightly some color. Slight color change is as easy as copying parabola or whatever skin you use and then change the css rule, update info.php to set the new skin name, parabola-blue or whatever you like.
I must agree for such a small change this might go overboard, but on the other hand, coding something new for this makes all doubled.

3. on the first look, it sounds nice, but i dont see visitors using that feature. If they need more info, click the stats button. But thats just my opinion, we will see.

4. hmm for this a plugin might be not bad. Something like the tooltip on the listings banners.
- include an small admin button somewhere on the listings boxes when logged in. Uppon clicking it shows the tooltip with a list of actions you can perform. Show url, username. Quick bann link, edit link and whatnot. I think something similar allready exist within aardvark

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
1) I have coded this in the past and it would be trivial to add to VL, but not convinced that is something we want to add to the core. I believe there are more interesting options when considering another integration of a "bigger banner". But will certainly keep this in mind as we look to the future. But generally plugins provide much more flexibility and options when it comes to features like this.

2) Again, I would say this is also best handled as an option via a plugin.

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Understood on all.

The thing with the "big banner for top folks, small button for every other listing" is basically just my thought on how to encourage people to sign up for a visually-themed top list (webcomic, artwork, photo sites, etc.) even if they know they'll never reach the top. They'd still get a chance to show off their skills, etc. artistically, to try and 'snag' the viewer's eye.

But yeah, just wanted to get some ideas out. Almost all of this stuff is what I added to my ATP site myself back in the day, so I figured I'd "share" if there was anything anyone liked. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed the big banner is nice but to give you an idea of an integration I like better is like how animelodge has done it.

Basically "credits" are assigned for posting comments, sending votes and other "activity". Credits can then be redeemed for a "big banner", the nice thing with this is it allows lower ranked members to gain some extra exposure which has historically been an issue with traditional topsites.

feedback is always appreciated and welcomed :)