500 Internal Service Error on fresh install

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
try turning on debugging in index.php
Code:
$CONF['debug'] = 0;
Set that to 1 and see if actual error messages show up now. Also make sure all is uploaded

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Out of the head iam not sure what causes this. Please pm ( conversation ) me ftp login details and ill have a look

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Found the problem.

Install page should say "Do not use apostrophe in database name or login information." :) Heh heh.

For example if password is (&*yhuDDus'-(u9U)H or some other randomly generated mish-mash, the apostrophe will cause the SQL settings PHP file to not function.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
nice catch :) I think (based on 500 error) this is probably the handiwork of mod_security

chwolf

No longer a customer.
Well, if the SQL setting in the PHP file has the password = 'PASSWORD' then if there's an apostrophe in, for example, the middle of the password, it reads like 'PASS'WORD' and now the PHP script thinks the line ends at the first apostrophe. Then the letters after that are gibberish to the code, and the REAL ending apostrophe is seen as a misplaced bit of code like any other stray apostrophe, semicolon, bracket, etc.

The code is then regaded as broken, and boom... 500 Internal Service Error. :)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I understand, but usually that stray quote would result in a php "parse error" not internal server error 500 :) But I guess it depends on your server config