Vote Analyzer

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all, I am working on a new plugin to help thwart cheaters and I could use your feedback.

What it does: logs details of all voters by user.

This allows the list management to review vote patterns, IP adresses etc.

At the moment, its very minimal... I am looking for ideas how to make it more effective.

1) Captures the users IP as well as the forwarded IP (if available) incase they are using a proxy
2) stores the time of the vote (used to study for patterns of vote spikes )
3) stores the username this user voted for
4) stores the user agent string of the voter (browser / OS environment)

I'm running this on one of my lists now, once I get a nice admin interface built for it I'll post this in the resources section. Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

leonor

License Active
Nice idea, it would be great if its compatible with the Callback plugin :)

There are some Users that just change the IP adress, delete the cookies and Vote again with the same Callback ID. (I can see this because i use Piwik to track my Users)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
There are some Users that just change the IP adress, delete the cookies and Vote again with the same Callback ID
While they can vote again using that method, the reason they do it, seems more because the website not checks if that specific user voted. After all any website with callback has a user login system, if they allow that same user multiple vote rewards, the user ofcourse takes advantage of that.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
While they can vote again using that method, the reason they do it, seems more because the website not checks if that specific user voted. After all any website with callback has a user login system, if they allow that same user multiple vote rewards, the user ofcourse takes advantage of that.
Sounds like I should add a field to this vote logger to also store the remote username from the callback plugin... this should probably also be used to disqualify multiple votes.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, it is better that these checks happen in the callback plugin itself. Store the voter username uppon voting and then check against that + ip on next vote to determine its valid or not.
Once that is done, you can pull the callback id from the ip log table as you do with the actual ip.