How to make a full language translation

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, you can translate.
1) open languages/import/english.php
2) make a copy and name it french.php (or whatever the name of your language is)
3) open that copy and translate the phrases and save
4) import this language using admin -> content tab -> manage languages
5) optionally share the translated file for others to use

Anna

Is it the same procedure if and when I translate a plugin?

And it was a while and quite a few updates since I worked with the Swedish translations. Does ut support "strange" letters these days? Like å ä and ö the last letters in our alphabet....

Last edited:

proxydesign

Visiolist-Fan
Yes, Anna - it's the same procedure during translating a plugin. And yes, the translation-files accept words which have "æøå", - or in your language "å ä and ö". :)

Anna

So, when I import the main language file I also import correlating plugin-translations (If existing)?
And good that the odd letters are fixed!

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Nope anna, plugins as of now work a bit different and only consist of a language file, unlike the main languge file which works with the database.

However the first step is the same there, open plugin language file, copy file and rename to your language

Anna

OK, done and done! So how do I get the plugin - translation to work in a specific plugin?!

PS Got the main translation to work for Swedish, it was UTF as you suggested. So if you like you can upload it for others to use! DS

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Well, like i said.
So for example plugins/PluginName/languages/english.php

1) copy english.php
2) rename to swedish.php and translate
3) upload to same folder -> done