Has This Issue Been Addressed in VisioList? (placing rank code on other sites)

freecashpro

Professional Web Developer & Coder
Hello,

Yes, I just purchased VisioList today though I'm off and running full speed to design, configure, and tweak my new VisioList based site.

I know that VisioList code apparently had its beginnings in the old Aardvark code and I still run a very popular Aardvark based top site list site. I know that I've had occasional issues over the years with that site and cheaters trying various schemes to inflate their rank. One issue I know is often being exploited (and unhandled) with Aardvark is when a list member places his/her code on other more popular sites (in addition to the site that's the true target where the rank code should only be placed) I've already caught a bunch of members doing this over the years and I never really figured out a way to thwart this practice other than investigating when I see a site's listing sky rocketing all of a sudden) [enough about Aardvark]

What I'm wondering is was this issue addressed and solved or improved in the VisioList code? Does VL discern between rank code placed on the correct site and code placed elsewhere only to boost a site's rank artificially?

Thanks!

freecashpro

Professional Web Developer & Coder
By the way, I've been catching these rank cheaters through a combination of taking a close look at my site's raw access logs and by Googling their specific rank code snippets within quotes (to see if that code is appearing anywhere else other than the site for which it was intended)

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about the pageview ranking method?
If so, nope, but it could be fairly easy implemented as an option to turn on/off
I personally ever saw that ranking method, lets say, as "quite bad", but it indeed could be implemented. I guess a query more might not matter to much if one is already using the resource hungry button.php

If you arre talking about the hits in method, then indeed it has such checks ever since aardvark, uh 5.xx or so ( google friendly links )
But that can be worked around by the member if he knows the script a bit ( placing the non friendly vote link instead disables that check ). Non friendly vote link disables the check because of facebook voting and such, where such link is required.

But here also could be a option implemented to only allow voting from the site the member registered with, wether friendly vote link is on or off

Then list admins would have a bit more control over what they allow and what not