A weird registration issue

boozhloo2

Hello

I just noticed another weird issue with my visiolist.

When users are attempting to create a new account, it's quite common to get a return error of the following:

“An error was found in your submission. Please correct this error below.”

Many users have reported it so far.
No error is highlighted which can get frustrating as the issue can't be identified. Sometimes it seems it's revolved around typing "www" instead of "http" in the web URL. I also believe that typing "https" into the website URL bar has resulted in the same. I'm quite unsure as there's quite a bit of information being typed and nothing is highlighted, it's pretty much "blurry" in terms of putting a finger of what the error really is.

I'm unsure if this is because of the custom theme that I have or a general visiolist occurrence, so I figured I'd post here in hopes to gain some insight into what's going on.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
leaving out http(s) is not a valid web url, and would trigger error for the url field
All the base fields have error handling and an "error_fieldname" template tag which shows the error if there is one.

If there is no error displayed on any field, its most likely a custom join form field ( admin ), which got added but template tag to show the field never added to the form. In which case, if its required, and its not there, visiolist denies the request to add data and just spits a general error ( it cant show an error on something non existant )

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried a test submission and indeed, got an error message with no highlighted field. As Basti mentioned above, this is most likely a custom join field added in the admin panel but not added to the join form template.

boozhloo2

So there's basically an edit that should've been added to the join_form html file for it to properly display?

Last edited:

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Look inside admin -> custom join fields
Take note of the fields, expand them, it will tell you which template tags to place inside the join form file ( you already did that with your 2 game type fields )

So is there a form field not present inside join_form.html?

boozhloo2

Look inside admin -> custom join fields
Take note of the fields, expand them, it will tell you which template tags to place inside the join form file ( you already did that with your 2 game type fields )

So is there a form field not present inside join_form.html?
Thanks Basti. Just to confirm, this is in the skins/default/child/join_form.html correct? Not skins/default/join_form.html

The one in child has this included (not sure if it's correctly added or not). It still displays the invisible errors for some reason, not sure what I'm missing.

Screenshot, 2021-07-30 23:00:23 - Paste.Pics

They are added like that in:
.../child/join_form.html
.../child/edit_form.html
.../child/join_form_existing.html

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yes, templates in /child/ simply override the default skins. So any edits should be made in /child/

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, now see in admin area by expanding each field to see if you have all form template tags added.
For example i see the country form field in your screenshot, but its not visible on the join form itself ( maybe a edit account field only? ).

There is a high chance that you simply missed to place a required field you added

boozhloo2

Yes, Mark was working on it but it was discontinued later down the line. I've tried clearing it from join_form but it didn't make a difference.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Ah i see the issue now, This bootstrap theme was done wrong, in that the form error class template tags are place wrong ( this was our fault and is corrected already ). Didnt thought of / remembered that
Because of the wrong placement, css cant show the errror message under the fields, cause bootstrap requires that the error class is on the input and not the surrounding div element

Do the following in join_form.html

On these html fields: username, password, url, title, email

You have template tags, {$error_style_username}, {$error_style_password}, {$error_style_url}, {$error_style_title}, {$error_style_email} respectively
Cut those out of the place where they are at and place them instead on the input within those div.

So take the username field, place it on the input class, so it looks like class="form-control {$error_style_username}"
Do this for all 5 fields

Afterwards test your join again, now we should see what is actually happens and an detailed error should show up on the fields.
Once you know what it is, let us know which field and what you entered, so we can play around on our test list to duplicate and fix

I would asume it would be the url field since you mentioned leaving out http before and that is invalid

Last edited: