Where can the code or css be found that is pushing..

shawnlg

I am trying to give your script my own look and feel. Where can the code or css be found that is pushing my center column left and leaving a lot of spacing on the right.

It may be better off to show you..

http://www.cafetopsites.com/cafe-sites/

As you can see something is pushing the ad in the third column clear to the right. This isn't the final look of the site, and I plan on putting back the blue footer information back onto the page, but for now I am just drying to get everything to look right. Thanks so much!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
First I will remind you of a couple key principles to keep in mind when modifying your list:

1) all CSS changes should be in user.css (or a css file of your choice) NEVER modify screen.css directly because this file will be overwritten with every upgrade and your edits will be lost and need to be re-applied.
2) all HTML changes should be made via child templates (simply copy the template into the child folder and edit there)

so, in user.css add this:

Code:
#wrapper {
width: 100%;
}
you already set this with to 800px in screen.css which is why you have the space on the right. Making this 100% will use up all of the space available, instead of only 800px;

shawnlg

Thank you for your help.

I will make sure I create new css files after I finish getting everything right.. I really appreciate the heads up..

As far as the visual changes go... As you can see I have your script sitting in a table with three columns, with your script in the middle column. I made the change as you suggested and it bleeds into the third column. What I was hoping to do do is center your script in the middle at about 95% of the middle column with the left and right nav tables at about 225px each so I can put other information and ads there. I realize your script has zones you can do some of this in, however I was hoping to keep the same look and feel as I had before I used your script instead of Aardvark.

Any assistance you could give me would be appreciated.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
too many sidebars :) to my eye, its already looking chaotic and I think that will only get worse when you get that right sidebar in place.

Not sure what you need help with, you can tweak the CSS measurements as needed to make it look how you like.

Personally, I would drop the usage of tables to control your layout, and I would combine those first 2 left sidebars into 1.

shawnlg

Your probably right on the esthetics part of it. I did go through and play with the CSS, even deleting each class category in the css to see how it would effect it and I couldn't figure it out. I may just go the easy route and use your suggestions on combining the center and right nav. Thanks!

shawnlg

Can you tell me which css I touch in order to center your whole css script. Something is floating the whole thing left and I cant figure out what. After that I think it is done for now. Thanks!

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
screen2.css has
Code:
table {
clear: none;
width: 98%;
}
And since your tables are not aligned centered ( at least the top ones ), they align left, hence creating that 2% space on the right.
So either make it 100% or add align="center" to your tables if that space is intended

shawnlg

That did the trick. If you look on line 211 of the source code you will see that both the td and the table is centered. I centered the next td on line 213 before and in my Dreamweaver window it looked like it was going to center everything including the text which isn't what I wanted to do, so I didn't make the change. Actually, making the change did in fact still keep everything in tact. Thanks so much!

shawnlg

:oops: BTW the earlier problem was my other style sheets weren't playing nice. It was had nothing to do with your style sheets. Thanks for you help. Sometimes it helps to have a second pair of eyes. Thanks again!

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, without a doubt, sometimes no matter how hard you look, you not find the error. Guess every programmer can sing a song of this