Not Feasible Upload banner/button on sign up.

LemoniscooL

if im right, mark said somewhere already that this will never be part of the core (please correct me if im wrong), and because of that im actually working on a plugin for this

cajkan

No need for a plugin its only a small text wich needs to be added

Also this could be improved if user wanna change his current banner to upload new one via http:// URL

Use search button im sure that u gonna find it

LemoniscooL

there is need for a plugin, as im talking of uploading from pc, not including an image from an external source
what youre talking about is changing the template and add a box from aardvark where you can use an URL to be used as a banner, but this means all banners will be loaded from an external server which would then decrease the page speed dramatically

cajkan

Ohhh then that its already included into VL

When user logs in UCP
theres Upload banner and Upload Premium banner

LemoniscooL

did you read his request? he wants exactly this feature on the join form, not after sign up (and approval if used)

LemoniscooL

as long as you check for filesize, file extension, image dimensions and mime type its pretty save tho, dont you think?
i think allowing to blacklink the banners from an external source is way worse

Okay. How about email confirmation for topsites sign up, and after they click the confirm link it asks if they'd like to upload a topsites icon/banner?

And I like LemoniscooL's idea, how about a filesize limit?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
linking the banners from external source is the way it has been done for 10 years, from a security point its been safe. That said, I cant stand that method for a bunch of reasons (which is why it was removed from VL in the first place) but I am not comfortable giving the world the ability to upload files without at least logging in first. You are free to modify your list as you see fit :) Our goal is to get the user signed up quickly, and the user control panel should be a tool for them to enhance their account with rss feeds, banners, premium membership etc.

Okay. How about email confirmation for topsites sign up, and after they click the confirm link it asks if they'd like to upload a topsites icon/banner?
you can edit your join email template to say anything you like :)
And I like LemoniscooL's idea, how about a filesize limit?
Already in place via the user control panel, and the remote URL field in the join form will check the image dimensions.

cajkan

Our goal is to get the user signed up quickly, and the user control panel should be a tool for them to enhance their account with rss feeds, banners, premium membership etc.
This is what i respect !

LemoniscooL

@rpgdirectory: oh forgot about that, yes i check filesize already .. the plugin is almost done im just struggling with error messages when something went wrong (filesize, dimensions, mime, etc)

@Mark: i know linking external banners is save, i meant that it may increase page loading time but you know that ;)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
This is available as a plugin (thanks to lemoniscool). This will not be added to the core at this time.