Sub-Categories

damnlag

So I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but sub-categories would be great for adding games under platforms.

For example, Xbox 360 > Call of Duty: Ghosts

Call of Duty games are available on nearly all platforms, so to narrow down search results, sub-categories would help people find a clan they're after much more easily.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
this has been suggested in the past, and always after careful consideration sub categories have been decided against. It really leads to a LOT of categories being created with very little content in each.

For example:

XBox one
- Call of Duty: Ghosts

XBox 360

PS3

PS4

PC

Wii

already you can see from SEO and usabiltiy perspective that we are creating multiple pages for the same keywords "Call of Duty: Ghosts"

So a better solution for this might be to create a single Category for "Call of Duty".

Then, setup custom profile fields for the user to choose their platform when signing up, this way all of your call of duty members are in 1 category and you can use a nice icon for each platform to identify them within the rankings. With some nice javascript and HTML5 you can even make dynamic "filter" that could only show the desired platform from that results page.

cajkan

Recently ive watched video from John Mueller and he said:

If pages dont have any content ( in this case your create categories with 0 users ) then we will treat this website differently and give low quality content, or not displaying at all because dont have any content just keywords to rank.

My advice is first get more members, then you can manually categorize them, or as Mark said " When they register they could pick up some extra info"

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
If pages dont have any content ( in this case your create categories with 0 users ) then we will treat this website differently and give low quality content
Speaking of this, it might be a good idea ( might,, not to sure ) to hide empty categories from the list and set up a "temporary not available" header for them

cajkan

Setup only NO-INDEX on thouse categories do the job. I have made some mini list so bet would be usefull for the VL next version.